Singapore Expats Forum

British Club Singapore - Membership

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.

Sponsored by:
Image
Hotel Booking

chrkkuhl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 15 Dec 2018

British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby chrkkuhl » Sat, 15 Dec 2018 3:04 pm

Hi Community

I have a dormant British Club SG membership available. Favorable price!

Ping me if you are interested.

Christian

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5923
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby PNGMK » Sat, 15 Dec 2018 3:41 pm

You and thousands of other club members trying to get out of ever increasing fees.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

DeepBlue80
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 04 Sep 2018

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby DeepBlue80 » Thu, 20 Dec 2018 3:40 pm

chrkkuhl wrote:Hi Community

I have a dormant British Club SG membership available. Favorable price!

Ping me if you are interested.

Christian


The cheapest way out IMHO is to go there, hand in your card and tell them to cancel it with immediate effect.

At least it will stop the monthly payments ... and there really don't appear to be any takers for it ...

User avatar
mikew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2018
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby mikew » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 1:05 pm

What are the benefits of joining? Is it a clicky place or are non-British members welcome?

chrkkuhl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 15 Dec 2018

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby chrkkuhl » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 5:46 pm

Hi Mikew

It is a very multicultural and multinational community. Less than 30% of the members are British.

The membership gives unlimited access for the entire family. Tennis, squash, pools, gym, food and beverage outlets, events and much more. I suggest you have a look at their website.

Let me know if you are interested. All the best.
Christian

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5923
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 8:02 pm

It's actually a liability OP is trying to sell you. Basically an expensive time share. Robert Kiyosaki (although he is a goddamn sociopath) would strongly disapprove.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 168
Joined: Tue, 05 Oct 2010
Location: Singapore

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby BBCDoc » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 9:02 pm

Is the food and beverage free?

The Swiss club pricing was basically, Swiss pricing...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

chrkkuhl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 15 Dec 2018

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby chrkkuhl » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 10:09 pm

No, the F&B is not free but the prices are very reasonable, and the food is good quality. Much better than the Swiss Club - in my opinion.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11246
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Jan 2019 10:35 pm

My experience is with the Am Club and the setup is going to be the same.

The transferable membership that you would be purchasing costs $21,400 if bought from the club. Then you pay $180 (single) to $235 (family) per month for the privilege of walking in the door.

If you've got kids who like to swim or play tennis, and perhaps a wife that likes the exercise programs and a place to build friends, then _perhaps_ the club is for you.

You still pay for all food and beverage, and it's market rates. You will still pay for special events, like golf tournaments and Christmas parties.

My view is that if you've got a pool or exercise facilities, or a family that doesn't care about such things, then the club is not a good investment. If you want to plug your arse into a British Club pub chair every night for a couple of pints, then perhaps it is your cup of tea (no pun intended).

FWIW, the British Club is off the beaten track off Bukit Timah... it is a lovely area. By contrast, the Am Club, is located on Claymore Hill, a block off Scott and Orchard... if you're working in the CBD it is easy to get to.

Finally, I offer this out of the British Club bylaws:

The Main Committee shall not at any time approve the admission of a person as a Voting Member if such admission would result in the percentage of Voting Members who are British reducing to less than 51% of the total Voting Membership, or if such admission would result in the percentage of Voting Members of a single nationality (other than British) increasing to more than 30% of the total Voting Membership (hereinafter referred to as the “percentage test”).


If you're serious about a club, look around. Am Club joining fees are in the ballpark.

User avatar
mikew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2018
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby mikew » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 6:56 am

PNGMK wrote:It's actually a liability OP is trying to sell you. Basically an expensive time share. Robert Kiyosaki (although he is a goddamn sociopath) would strongly disapprove.

Warnings heeded everyone! :shock:

Thanks for the heads up, and for the detailed run down Strong Eagle!

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5923
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 8:33 am

There are a lot of clubs. IF you're American the American club makes some sense as it has discounted membership for Americans and offers some useful facilities down town but it's also crowded and expensive for F&B. Tanglin and the like are useful for networking and hosting functions if you're into that. The country specific ones are for those who want to feel at home and some do a better job than others at that. Some of the sports clubs make sense if you're into sports. The Cricket club is both highly social for Indians now and great if you have sporting kids.

You need to be wary of clubs costs though and really do your research - there are a lot of costs apart from membership and I know people who have abandoned their memberships when times have gotten tough. Some clubs (Singapore Cricket) are making it prohibitively expensive to transfer membership, others like Changi Golf Club appear on the verge of going into bankruptcy and members are not paying fees just to avoid putting more money into a black hole. Other clubs like Tanah Merah Golf and Raffles Golf are facing lease issues where they have or will lose their grounds. The clubs I would join personally are boating (Raffles or RSYC etc) if you're into that - except sailing in and out of Singapore is expensive now due to clearance fees.

IF you're a Uni graduate and can get access to your Uni Club (for example UWA club in Perth) check if it offers reciprocal access to the NUS or NTU Alumni clubs - that's a possibly cheaper option if you just need a club as space away from home sometimes. There are also some professional clubs around as well(There is a Medical Doctors one near SHG which is actually available for other functions). IF you're Chinese check out if your clan has a clan house as well.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
mikew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2018
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby mikew » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 9:15 am

PNGMK wrote:There are a lot of clubs. IF you're American the American club makes some sense as it has discounted membership for Americans and offers some useful facilities down town but it's also crowded and expensive for F&B. Tanglin and the like are useful for networking and hosting functions if you're into that. The country specific ones are for those who want to feel at home and some do a better job than others at that. Some of the sports clubs make sense if you're into sports. The Cricket club is both highly social for Indians now and great if you have sporting kids.

You need to be wary of clubs costs though and really do your research - there are a lot of costs apart from membership and I know people who have abandoned their memberships when times have gotten tough. Some clubs (Singapore Cricket) are making it prohibitively expensive to transfer membership, others like Changi Golf Club appear on the verge of going into bankruptcy and members are not paying fees just to avoid putting more money into a black hole. Other clubs like Tanah Merah Golf and Raffles Golf are facing lease issues where they have or will lose their grounds. The clubs I would join personally are boating (Raffles or RSYC etc) if you're into that - except sailing in and out of Singapore is expensive now due to clearance fees.

IF you're a Uni graduate and can get access to your Uni Club (for example UWA club in Perth) check if it offers reciprocal access to the NUS or NTU Alumni clubs - that's a possibly cheaper option if you just need a club as space away from home sometimes. There are also some professional clubs around as well(There is a Medical Doctors one near SHG which is actually available for other functions). IF you're Chinese check out if your clan has a clan house as well.


Wow, very helpful PNGMK! I'm not one for wine-ing and dining the elite so I don't need a space for events. And in the odd occasion where I want to throw a party I can just rent somewhere.

I was more interested from a networking point of view but it seems to be overkill.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5923
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 9:29 am

Networking via clubs is not something I know much about. I do it via professional associations and the like. The FreeMasons maybe a good option for networking I'm told. If you have kids getting them into an elite school is also a networking opp.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
mikew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue, 18 Dec 2018
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby mikew » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 9:35 am

Thanks PNGMK, I've also been looking into co-working spaces as a good way to meet new people.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5923
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: British Club Singapore - Membership

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 08 Jan 2019 9:49 am

mikew wrote:Thanks PNGMK, I've also been looking into co-working spaces as a good way to meet new people.


I've been in few of those locations and 99.9% of the people there are nose down into their smart phone....
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests