Singapore Expats

Living part-time in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
mikew
Location: Singapore, Australia, Andorra (mainly - it's complicated!)

Living part-time in Singapore

Post by mikew » Wed, 19 Dec 2018 6:36 am

Hi everyone,

My family and I are planning to spend 3-6 months per year in Singapore.

We live over in Andorra which we love, but it's very quiet from a business point of view so will have a second home in Singapore where we can network and do business more easily.

Is this type of situation common with other expats?
Is it possible to put my child in school in Singapore for less than a 1 year time period?
Are expat groups "cliquey"? Will we be able to make friends with people if they know we aren't hanging around?

Thanks in advance, we have lots to learn!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Living part-time in Singapore

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 21 Dec 2018 9:23 am

The hardest part will be working out and successfully obtaining a work or residency pass. What are your plans there?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Fri, 21 Dec 2018 6:46 pm

A lot of long termers wont bother with you because the cycle of making friends and losing them happens far too often, so the expats will treat you like a tourist. Will be friendly enough, but no plans to make long term bonds.
As to the school, while you may be lucky, the school charges large fees on acceptance, and if you leave the school and come back you have to pay those fees again. Then there are the waiting lists for many International Schools.
Finally there is the issue with your children's curriculum changing twice a year which would be hard on them even staying within the same “type” of school.
I feel the uprooting and change in the childrens school will be your next biggest problem, assuming you can get a pass as PNGMK indicated.

mikew

Post by mikew » Sat, 22 Dec 2018 2:44 pm

PNGMK wrote:The hardest part will be working out and successfully obtaining a work or residency pass. What are your plans there?
Yes, this one may be difficult. Entrepass seems to be too big of an undertaking - I'd happily move my business to a Singapore entity if that was enough but the requirements for Entrepass are probably much too large.

So it may be that my wife (a teacher) can find some contracts to bail us out.

I have also heard of situations where parents are able to stay for extended periods of time in support of their children who are on student visas.

mikew

Post by mikew » Sat, 22 Dec 2018 2:51 pm

The Ref wrote:A lot of long termers wont bother with you because the cycle of making friends and losing them happens far too often, so the expats will treat you like a tourist. Will be friendly enough, but no plans to make long term bonds.
I have seen this elsewhere, but wasn't sure of what Singapore's expat community is like.

My guess is many people are in Singapore for short stints (I know some Australians that literally fly in for a work week once a fortnight) but of course that doesn't mean the long termers will bother investing in a friendship with someone like that.

It's not a huge deal to me but I know my wife will want close friends.
The Ref wrote:As to the school, while you may be lucky, the school charges large fees on acceptance, and if you leave the school and come back you have to pay those fees again. Then there are the waiting lists for many International Schools.
Finally there is the issue with your children's curriculum changing twice a year which would be hard on them even staying within the same “type” of school.
I feel the uprooting and change in the childrens school will be your next biggest problem, assuming you can get a pass as PNGMK indicated.
This is really helpful info RE: the schools. I was under impression that IB schools could help with this situation, but truthfully I haven't researched it too much.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 22 Dec 2018 10:55 pm

mikew wrote:
PNGMK wrote:The hardest part will be working out and successfully obtaining a work or residency pass. What are your plans there?
Yes, this one may be difficult. Entrepass seems to be too big of an undertaking - I'd happily move my business to a Singapore entity if that was enough but the requirements for Entrepass are probably much too large.

I have also heard of situations where parents are able to stay for extended periods of time in support of their children who are on student visas.
I wouldn't give up on registering your business in Singapore. Leaving aside the issues of residency and what you would do about having a "normally resident" Singapore director:

a) The requirements for an Entrepass have been substantially loosened from the past. Your own track record may qualify you for the pass. https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... ligibility

b) Even if you don't go that route, the gahmen is well aware that Entrepass rules have driven away many potential businesses, and as a result, they will look at traditionally setup pte ltd's for people who wouldn't otherwise qualify for an Entrepass. I can no longer find the email, and MoM responded to me that each case would be considered on its own merits. I've written on this subject a number of times, and what it takes to start a pte ltd and successfully apply for an EP.

As for residency, if you were planning on keeping a home in Singapore year round, then I believe you would qualify for tax residency and would qualify as being "normally resident" for your company.

mikew

Post by mikew » Sun, 23 Dec 2018 3:59 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
mikew wrote:

I wouldn't give up on registering your business in Singapore. Leaving aside the issues of residency and what you would do about having a "normally resident" Singapore director:

a) The requirements for an Entrepass have been substantially loosened from the past. Your own track record may qualify you for the pass. https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permi ... ligibility

b) Even if you don't go that route, the gahmen is well aware that Entrepass rules have driven away many potential businesses, and as a result, they will look at traditionally setup pte ltd's for people who wouldn't otherwise qualify for an Entrepass. I can no longer find the email, and MoM responded to me that each case would be considered on its own merits. I've written on this subject a number of times, and what it takes to start a pte ltd and successfully apply for an EP.

As for residency, if you were planning on keeping a home in Singapore year round, then I believe you would qualify for tax residency and would qualify as being "normally resident" for your company.
Strong Eagle, thanks very much for this "glimmer of hope".

Do you know if there is an appeals process an application is denied? For example, if one eligibility requirement isn't accepted, is it possible to try another?