Singapore Expats

Diplomatic clause

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Diplomatic clause

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 15 Dec 2018 1:10 pm

chevrel123 wrote:Is the diplomatic clause applicable in case of resignation? The clause in my tenancy agreement includes "if tenant's employment in Singapore is terminated for any reason whatsoever". It does not say that the termination should be by the employer.
You can certainly try. However, I suspect the landlord will say you were not terminated, that you resigned. Then what are you going to do? Your options are limited. Exercise your rights under the diplomatic clause and see what happens?

If you're planning on leaving or need to leave and have a good working relationship with landlord, better to try and work it out.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Diplomatic clause

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Dec 2018 4:25 pm

This is Singapore, not the US, UK , CA, AU or anywhere else. English has it's on meanings here. I think you will still be hard pressed to make a case of it. But don't let that stop you from trying. There are a lot of people that don't believe a fire is hot or that drugs will kill without actually trying it. Have at it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers