Singapore Expats

NS obligations for son

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
AaronCh

NS obligations for son

Post by AaronCh » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 5:47 pm

Hi

I’m a PR but my Wife is not and we are having a baby boy due next year. My question is - what are the NS obligations for my Son? Will he be considered a PR automatically and have NS obligations or will he only have NS obligations if I apply and get him PR status?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Re: NS obligations for son

Post by bcheng74 » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 6:00 pm

There is never automatic PR by birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AaronCh

Post by AaronCh » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 6:06 pm

bcheng74 wrote:There is never automatic PR by birth.

Hi thanks for replying. I thought this was he case but just wanted to be certain.

Are there any NS obligations for Son of PR (even if my Son is not a PR)?

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 6:08 pm

AaronCh wrote:

Hi thanks for replying. I thought this was he case but just wanted to be certain.

No there isn’t. And there is no guarantee that son of PR can always legally resides in Singapore, either.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 6:10 pm

There is also the distinct possibility you will find your re-entry permit renewal shortened to as little as 1 years when you try to renew it and it won't be renewed after that 1 year. It has happened before for the same reason. The Gahment isn't stupid.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AaronCh

Post by AaronCh » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 6:11 pm

bcheng74 wrote:
AaronCh wrote:

No there isn’t. And there is no guarantee that son of PR can always legally resides in Singapore, either.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 9:49 pm

If you want to keep PR you need to keep the son out of the Singapore system completely or bring him into it. He needs to be born and educated overseas with no records of the relationship in Singapore or born here and then apply for PR.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

AaronCh

Post by AaronCh » Mon, 10 Dec 2018 3:15 pm

PNGMK wrote:If you want to keep PR you need to keep the son out of the Singapore system completely or bring him into it. He needs to be born and educated overseas with no records of the relationship in Singapore or born here and then apply for PR.
Thanks all for the replies. There's a very high chance that I will be transferring jobs back to my home country within 1-2 years, so I would rather not go through the trouble (and future consequences) of getting and renouncing pr for my son when that happens. Just wanted to be sure that he won't have any ns surprises down the track even if he is not a pr.

AaronCh

Post by AaronCh » Mon, 10 Dec 2018 3:16 pm

AaronCh wrote:
PNGMK wrote:If you want to keep PR you need to keep the son out of the Singapore system completely or bring him into it. He needs to be born and educated overseas with no records of the relationship in Singapore or born here and then apply for PR.
Thanks all for the replies. There's a good chance that I will be transferring jobs back to my home country within 1-2 years, so I would rather not go through the trouble (and future consequences) of getting and renouncing pr for my son when that happens. Just wanted to be sure that he won't have any ns surprises down the track even if he is not a pr.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 10:13 am

AaronCh wrote:
Thanks all for the replies. There's a very high chance that I will be transferring jobs back to my home country within 1-2 years, so I would rather not go through the trouble (and future consequences) of getting and renouncing pr for my son when that happens. Just wanted to be sure that he won't have any ns surprises down the track even if he is not a pr.
Will you give up your PR?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 11 Dec 2018 10:22 am

It's a shame we cannot sell PR on carousell
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

AaronCh

Post by AaronCh » Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:11 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
AaronCh wrote:
Will you give up your PR?
Don't see any choice as from what I've read, the Sg govt will reject renewal if I'm residing overseas anyway. Would love to come back one day but I'll have to go where my job takes me.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Dec 2018 2:55 pm

What's you gonna do when your job takes you to Singapore? die-die already.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Fri, 14 Dec 2018 3:18 pm

There are no NS obligations for a non-PR/non-citizen male person. A child of a PR is not given an automatic PR, it has to be applied for. There are some who say that the non-application of a male child of a PR may adversely affect that PR's chances of REP renewal. I am not sure of that because since 2010, there are many dependent PR applications (child of PRs) being rejected.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Dec 2018 3:50 pm

agreed, bro75, but my take on this is if you look at the vast majority of those who have had dependent PR applications being rejected they are mostly from the sub-continent. I think this is just another way of possibly trying to create a situation where the PR gives up their PR and goes home. I might be wrong but most of the anecdotal stories are pointing in that direction.