Singapore Expats

Travel search sites

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
MariaGiovanni

Travel search sites

Post by MariaGiovanni » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 1:57 pm

Hi everyone, I'm planning on booking some holidays for my family in the future but wanted to get some advice on which travel search sites you guys use and how each compares to the other? Care to share your experiences.

I usually go for Google Flights/ Skyscanner.
And then use booking.com for hotels.

I see quite a few random sites on Skyscanner like travelgenio, gotogate and i'm just wondering if its risky to book on those (fares seem crazy cheap tho)? Skyscanner seems reliable but I'm not sure if its wise to book via those other websites.

I know its preferable to just book directly form the airlines but there difference in fares really attracts me. (substantial savings as i'm booking for 4 tickets)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Travel search sites

Post by bgd » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 3:40 pm

For flights I use Expedia. Accommodation Booking.com.

I've found both to be good and Expedia in particular has produced some amazing savings.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 02 Oct 2018 8:05 pm

Hipmunk for flights, then I usually book directly with the airline.

I've quit using hotels. AirBnB has provided some great stays for me.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 03 Oct 2018 10:23 am

I found booking directly with airlines to be more expensive than what I could find on Expedia. I was sold on Expedia when I saved SGD1,800 on the same flight available on the airline site. If booking the low cost carriers I think savings are minimal, it's more the convenience of having all flight options available on one screen. I guess that's what Hipmunk does?

MariaGiovanni

Post by MariaGiovanni » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 9:29 am

Thanks everyone!! Someone recommended me Kayak because they have more filters than skyscanner. I've not used Hipmunk before but will check it out too :)

Persian
Regular
Regular

Post by Persian » Sat, 27 Oct 2018 11:43 pm

Commonly I will search all airline that has direct flight to the place I intend to travel. If you have more time, you can search them Everyday. But make sure u delete your cookies,. Certain days in the week certain airline ticket prices are cheaper. Once I’ve gotten a guide on price and deleted my cookies, I’ll go for sites that provide accommodations and flight package such as Expedia or trivago. If they have special promo you could get a rather cheaper rate. But take note, before you actual book from those website recheck the airline and hotel website. After calculating hidden costs, booking from airline and hotel website could be cheaper at the end of the day. So it really depends.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Oct 2018 12:23 am

Not bad. around 130 words to say absolutely nothing. :-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tania_gromenko

Post by tania_gromenko » Fri, 07 Dec 2018 12:24 pm

You must continue to book your flights via Skyscanner thats the cheapest & reliable aggregator. If you are a regular traveler you can go for Expedia also, as the prices are little high but offer reward scheme, you can get free nights on hotel booking or can redeem the points & get subsequent off on the next bookings.

nathandev

Post by nathandev » Thu, 07 Feb 2019 11:56 pm

Agreed to go with Skyscanner but also Expedia is reliable too

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 12:45 am

nathandev wrote:Agreed to go with Skyscanner but also Expedia is reliable too
TIC - TOC - TIC - TOC

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 1:17 pm

Wow, really being chillax, eh, SE? nathandev is a typical spammer from Pakistan (right from the 'training block' there. I'm surprised you let him off with a tic..toc.. I'd have just pulled the pin and let it drop.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 08 Feb 2019 11:10 pm

Yah... deleted two similar posts about travel sites... then this one appeared... trying to figure out what these clowns are doing without adding spamming links to messages. I think that comes later.

nathandev

Post by nathandev » Sat, 09 Feb 2019 7:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wow, really being chillax, eh, SE? nathandev is a typical spammer from Pakistan (right from the 'training block' there. I'm surprised you let him off with a tic..toc.. I'd have just pulled the pin and let it drop.
lol, You can just pull me off, eh, Sunday?

nathandev

Post by nathandev » Sat, 09 Feb 2019 7:29 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Yah... deleted two similar posts about travel sites... then this one appeared... trying to figure out what these clowns are doing without adding spamming links to messages. I think that comes later.
If this forum won't allow dropping any link to a related topic then idk what u guys r doing? Concealing?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Feb 2019 7:51 pm

Bye-Bye.... pin pulled and dropped.