Singapore Expats

Married to SC, on EP but about to lose job

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Laksaboi

Married to SC, on EP but about to lose job

Post by Laksaboi » Fri, 30 Nov 2018 12:58 am

Hi all long time lurked here :)
I am a foreigner on EP working here 2 years in in house legal role.

Earning $12k a month
Working here already 2 years
Married to SC 3 months ago (dated 3 years)
Applied for PR 3 months ago immediately after married
I have a Law degree and a commerce degree from a reputable Australian university

I've been indicated I may be let go in 2 months time and currently panicking. :cry:

Need some advice guys.

1. What do you think of my prospects of getting my PR now
2. What are my prospects of a LTVP if I lose my job
3. I hear getting another EP is gonna be hard cos employers are looking more strongly to SC/PR hires..will a LTVP make the job hunt easier?
4. Any other tips and advice?? #-o

I've studied and worked hard all my life..Now feeling it all go down the drain. I love my wife and want to stay....

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Married to SC, on EP but about to lose job

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Nov 2018 11:21 am

If PR doesn't come in time then LTVP+ is your only option (or possibly being rehired on an EP which actually would be better). Start looking for work NOW.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Dec 2018 9:42 pm

^^^This.

Laskaboi, you can also bank on PNGMK to shoot straight. We go back many, many years (even before this forum existed. I know he's been on the ropes once or twice and the poop he's giving here is straight. You can also trust the gut feelings of Strong Eagle. I concur with PNGMK's options and start getting those feelers out there. The LTVP+ should be your backup position, only using that trick if it's the only option left. With the LTVP+ you can get a LoC (Letter of Consent) but automatically, you'll almost always not get what you are worth. (but at the same time, it can buy you time until you can find what you are looking for)

I have my doubts that PR will come within 3 months but being married to a local has to be a trump card along with your credentials. (Can you practice here without any issues?)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Laksaboi

Post by Laksaboi » Thu, 06 Dec 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks SMS - sometimes when your back is up against the ropes although you know the answer, sometimes you just need to have someone you trust give you straight up honest advice. Appreciate your answer, and the amazing work you do here and other threads.

In your eyes it may be small, but its given me motivation and focus.

You're a star!