Singapore Expats

Pregnancy - so many questions

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
East Sider

Pregnancy - so many questions

Post by East Sider » Sat, 13 Oct 2018 2:14 pm

Hi all,

I've done as much research as i can to this point - in this forum and elsewhere. I don't know if my situation is the same as anyone else's, but any advice is warmly welcomed. Here goes!

Brit SPR. In SG a long time, long term PR (12years). New girlfriend (but i had high hopes from the start). She has businesses in Thailand, but is from another SEA country. Potential (long-term) visa issues there (please cast no aspersions on what's to come!)

I visited her there, she visited me here. Outcome being, she thinks she's pregnant (early stages). Both our first. I have no doubts it's true, and don't feel trapped. I'm embracing the situation, however complicated.

So many questions but...

How could we legally have the baby here in the current situation? (I think SG's the best option considering). I've seen there is a process to apply for her visa in advance to give birth here.

Is me taking SG Citizenship an option to help the process? (And then marrying her?)

If i remain PR, what is her status, assuming she has no LTVP as a non-spouse?

If we sign up for the first prenatal checks, are we 'locked in' to a hospital doctor for the term (bearing in mind her shaky SG immigration status currently)

And one for the Brits... can our child take UK Citizenship, being born in SG to a foreign mum?

What else???? :shock:

Much appreciated on any responses, and any other info we may need to consider.

Regards,
Happy/Confused/Excited/Nervous ES

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Pregnancy - so many questions

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 14 Oct 2018 9:18 am

How could we legally have the baby here in the current situation? (I think SG's the best option considering). I've seen there is a process to apply for her visa in advance to give birth here.

1. Yes - a medical visa is a possibility. The child will not gain SC rights though. As far as I can recall the child will not gain any rights to SRP via you either even if born in Singapore. You need to normalize your gf situation ASAP if you want her to be in Singapore as a mother to the child and for the child to gain SPR/SC.

Is me taking SG Citizenship an option to help the process? (And then marrying her?)

2. Marrying her full stop needs to happen first as she is from a country that won't be recognized as permitting defacto/common law marriages I suspect.

If i remain PR, what is her status, assuming she has no LTVP as a non-spouse?

3. Tourist or medical tourist.

If we sign up for the first prenatal checks, are we 'locked in' to a hospital doctor for the term (bearing in mind her shaky SG immigration status currently)

4. No but having a baby as a foreigner is expensive here. Have you considered her giving birth in her home country esp. as you gain no rights having the baby here in Singapore in your current situation?

And one for the Brits... can our child take UK Citizenship, being born in SG to a foreign mum?

5. Yes. The BHC can advise on the process. It's probably on their website somewhere.

What else???? :shock:

6. Don't count your eggs until they hatch.

Much appreciated on any responses, and any other info we may need to consider.

Regards,
Happy/Confused/Excited/Nervous ES
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BBCDoc
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BBCDoc » Sun, 14 Oct 2018 10:16 pm

Hi there,

I understand some Thai Hospitals are also very popular destinations for Japanese to deliver - Bumrungrad for example.

It would be far cheaper to give birth in Thailand, plus I am sure she would appreciate the care being rendered in her native language. In Singapore, most Hospitals expect the Mother to be out within 2 days of delivery, otherwise pay hefty daily rates to stay longer.

British citizenship is ok for now, but no idea what will happen after Brexit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's always room for one more

East Sider

Post by East Sider » Mon, 15 Oct 2018 8:34 am

Much appreciated!

UK Visitor mum to be

Post by UK Visitor mum to be » Tue, 03 Dec 2019 6:33 pm

hello,

'And one for the Brits... can our child take UK Citizenship, being born in SG to a foreign mum?'

What is your British Citizenship 'status', i.e how are you a British Cit ? - were you born in the UK ? (if yes then your status is 'Brit Cit otherwise than by descent')

This is important for how your child can take British citizenship. You can check on the British National Act 1981 ... http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/contents

If you were not born in the UK it makes it harder / more complicated for you to give your child British citizenship by descent - not impossible, just less automatic.

or check on the gov.uk website...which is long-winded but has a lot of info!

Cant comment on other questions but hope that gives some help!

East Sider

Post by East Sider » Wed, 04 Dec 2019 5:40 pm

Thanks all,

We are happily (hopefully!) married with a gorgeous six month old baby, who has UK Citizenship. My wife has a LTVP, and we shall see about PR for the both of them moving forward.

Good luck to you all!