Singapore Expats

Where to get a BBQ grill?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
NCD22

Where to get a BBQ grill?

Post by NCD22 » Sun, 24 Jan 2016 2:39 am

Anyone know where to get a decent BBQ grill for a reasonable price? Went to two places today (BQ Mart at Kallang and Big Box at Jurong) and they had some decent ones, but at both, grills that would cost say US$400 (S$500 or so) in the US were going for S$1,400! Absolutely insane! I could buy the same grill and have it shipped by Amazon and taxes/duties paid for less... Which i think i may just do out of spite...

On a side note, anyone has a used one to sell or know anyone that does please PM me.
:wink: ››NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE REAL THING‹‹ :wink:

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Where to get a BBQ grill?

Post by curiousgeorge » Sun, 24 Jan 2016 4:13 am

Welcome to Singapore where things cost more (TM)

Go ahead and get it shipped. Just check for valves and gas-mix compatibility first.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Sun, 24 Jan 2016 11:39 am

NCD22 wrote:Anyone know where to get a decent BBQ grill for a reasonable price? Went to two places today (BQ Mart at Kallang and Big Box at Jurong) and they had some decent ones, but at both, grills that would cost say US$400 (S$500 or so) in the US were going for S$1,400! Absolutely insane! I could buy the same grill and have it shipped by Amazon and taxes/duties paid for less... Which i think i may just do out of spite...

On a side note, anyone has a used one to sell or know anyone that does please PM me.
Make your own out of an old oil drum .....

Our German Colleagues in the Dragon Boat Community have made a couple cracking BBQ grills.

They require charcoal for cooking though :cool:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Jan 2016 2:10 pm

When I work in the Oil Industry, we also used 55 Gallon drums to make BBQs, and for the one or two person picnic out of the boot of the car/beach we used Freon R22 bottles cut in half sideways with brazed on legs handles, etc. Or you can use an empty LPG gas bottle of the type used for stoves here in Singapore that use bottled gas and not city gas.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 24 Jan 2016 6:27 pm

I had this one:

Paid, ca $300, carbon steal, survived 1 season. Functionally was ok, but the parts exposed to the direct heat (mostly the bottom part) corroded out extremely quickly.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 25 Jan 2016 4:08 am

Grills are very expensive in Singapore. Most however, are better quality than the typical CharBroil you find at Home Depot.

The majority of the grills come from Australia. You may think you can ship from the USA, and you will be stunned a) when you see how many grills are not eligible for international shipping, and b) when you see the costs... you can easily spend $700 shipping a 4 burner grill.

Gas isn't an issue as long as you get a propane grill. You'll have to buy the regulator from whomever you purchase bottled gas, and they will hose you to attach it to the gas line on the grill.

I purchased two high quality used gas grills when I lived in Singapore, one for each semi-D I lived in. Paid around S$400 each... you just need to be patient and keep checking out the various for sale websites, including eBay.

NCD22

Post by NCD22 » Thu, 04 Feb 2016 2:31 pm

Thanks for the suggestions all. Just to update, I ended up going with BBQ Warehouse (http://bbqwarehouse.com.sg/). The prices are still way more than I ever envisioned myself ever spending on a gas grill, but at least they are comparable to US prices and the current exchange rate so at least I know that I am getting what I paid for. For a country that has such awesome BBQ weather you would think there would be more options. In the US, $400 (S$570 or so) gets you a pretty serious gas grill...
:wink: ››NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE REAL THING‹‹ :wink:

CaptainJamesCook

Post by CaptainJamesCook » Sat, 13 Oct 2018 5:14 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Grills are very expensive in Singapore. Most however, are better quality than the typical CharBroil you find at Home Depot.

The majority of the grills come from Australia. You may think you can ship from the USA, and you will be stunned a) when you see how many grills are not eligible for international shipping, and b) when you see the costs... you can easily spend $700 shipping a 4 burner grill.

Gas isn't an issue as long as you get a propane grill. You'll have to buy the regulator from whomever you purchase bottled gas, and they will hose you to attach it to the gas line on the grill.

I purchased two high quality used gas grills when I lived in Singapore, one for each semi-D I lived in. Paid around S$400 each... you just need to be patient and keep checking out the various for sale websites, including eBay.
Can you only have a barbeque if you have a landed property? I.e. Some decking or grass of your own to set it up?

wjl

Post by wjl » Mon, 10 Aug 2020 7:11 am

I lived in Singapore and moved to Houston with a Weber Spirit grill which I cannot use in the States.

I would be more than willing to sell the grill which was $1000 to best offer (starting at $50).

However, you will be responsible for shipping.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 19 Aug 2020 4:15 pm

wjl wrote:
Mon, 10 Aug 2020 7:11 am
I lived in Singapore and moved to Houston with a Weber Spirit grill which I cannot use in the States.

I would be more than willing to sell the grill which was $1000 to best offer (starting at $50).

However, you will be responsible for shipping.
Why can't you use the grill? I live in Houston and will take the grill for $50.