Singapore Expats

Stepfather expat

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Anntk

Stepfather expat

Post by Anntk » Tue, 09 Oct 2018 5:07 pm

My husband might be getting a job in Singapore, and we would like to move there for about one year.
We are married, and have a daughter. I have one more daughter, my husband is her stepfather, but not legal father. Would we be able to move there without any problems relating to this?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Stepfather expat

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Oct 2018 5:19 pm

From what I've been told, It shouldn't be a problem as long as he has adopted her legally Otherwise there is no legal relationship with her that would allow her to be his legal dependent here. I may be wrong and maybe somebody else here has some better information as I cannot provide a link to support this.

This is the closest I've been able to find thus far but it geared more towards adoption and less towards a stepchild from a spouse's previous marriage.

https://www.msf.gov.sg/Adoption/Pages/A ... -Pass.aspx

This from an earlier post on this forum from 4 years ago....

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=101288&p=683952&hi ... vp#p683948

This from another expat forum some of us used to frequent a dozen years ago before it went sour. This thread is 12 years old but I don't think anything has changed since then. It says pretty much what I've said and the previous link says....

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/ind ... #msg222336

Another regular here, PNGMK, may have more insight here with that regard as I think he has adopted while he has been here (he's a long-timer like my self with over 25 years here).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Anntk

Re: Stepfather expat

Post by Anntk » Tue, 09 Oct 2018 6:05 pm

8-[ Thank you so much, I will study the links you attached. He has not adopted her, and that will not be an option.. I really hope that this will not be an issue.. 8-[