Singapore Expats

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
vlogin

Re: National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Post by vlogin » Fri, 03 Aug 2018 4:44 pm

hi there,
I am not from the countries you mentioned but more advanced countries if you want to know
Though we came here on a job opportunity for my husband, then slowly liked here and then got PR.
I got no qualms about my son doing NS.
My only concern is about his health.
This has been bad part of me to post, since my post has been posted to many websites like transition, independent etc by some almond2009.

So shocked when I found out.. I shouldnt hv posted my concern here.

Would like to check with admin on how to find out that our posts will be secure and used any where?
Escapedprisoner wrote:vlogin Err I am surprised no one asked yet but wouldn’t a major factor be the citizenship that you have? Where are you from?

Unless you are from a country like India, Bangladesh, the sort, ya know what I mean, wouldn’t your country of origin afford you a better future given that Singapore is a microstate, you are not from here so don’t enjoy established family ties as incentives to put up with all the difficult issues like NS and your son has special needs.

It’s really funny to see all these strangers to OP cheerleading for a single goal - to retain the Singapore PR and having the OP’s son perform NS with special needs when they are not originally from Singapore without even considering anything else. The biggest factor among all the “everything else” is obviously what kind of options OP has. And nobody bothered to ask before piling on their “ advice” for him to invest two years of his son’s life into something which has claimed Singaporeans and PR’s lives during peacetime.

Every single developed country is a better place to live than Singapore, even the better developing countries like Malaysia gives an equal to better experience.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Aug 2018 5:03 pm

As this is an open forum which anybody can read there is nothing stopping anybody from copy/pasting the contents of a post to another board. In fact, a lot of our threads have been copie d in full and posted verbatim on other sites for nefarious reasons. There is NO protection anywhere on the www that will prevent plagiarization of the written word. If somebody can see it, they can copy it. Such is life.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 03 Aug 2018 8:57 pm

vlogin - I have closed your spam report. As SMS mentioned we cannot stop anyone from copying the contents of this website to any other website. Such actions are generally legal. Even rag websites that attempt to enforce copyright on their own news sites (the local birdcage liner comes to mind) find it is virtually impossible to prevent unwanted use of content.

I have seen my own posts copied verbatim to other websites as though someone else were the original author. Not much to be done about that, I'm afraid.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 04 Aug 2018 8:22 am

Vlogin - there is nothing to worry about. Your post had nothing identifiable in it. The local yokels like to hate the more successful FT's who come in and rightly displace their incompetent overpaid asses is all.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

xiaogoupi

Post by xiaogoupi » Sun, 12 Aug 2018 7:40 am

head_up_your_ass2.jpg
Attachments
head_up_your_ass2.jpg

koolkat

Post by koolkat » Wed, 03 Oct 2018 12:32 pm

My sons hold Singapore PR. We are moving to a neighboring country for work. I understand that my Secondary school sons have to get an exit permit and post a bond if they are out of Singapore for more than 3 months to a year. But what if they return to Singapore before 3 months, stay for a few days then leave and return in less than 3 months. Do they still need an exit permit or a bond? My sons understand that they need to do NS and they will but the bond is rather onerous and they can't stay in Singapore by themselves.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 03 Oct 2018 2:32 pm

Koolkat,

Apply for 364 days each time. No bond.

Bds_234

Post by Bds_234 » Tue, 28 Jul 2020 10:31 pm

Hello ..
I am in a big mess .. not sure wat to do...
I am a Singaporean mum of a male boy (9 years)born in UK and dad is British too....
He is holding British passport since he was 5.. I have renewed his passport once which will expire befor he turns 11 and HV used it to go India on a visitor visa(5 times )....
We have never been to Singapore and never knew any of this stuff or else I wouldn't HV been so stupid and messing up ( felling annoyed)...
I want to renounce my son's citizenship but as I HV read all of Ur posts it seems it will be done at 21 years of age....
Can any pls guide me how can i avoid making him do NS ... As I also don't have any lien in Singapore......
Pls some one guide me through to come out of this mess...

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 29 Jul 2020 8:05 am

Bds_234 wrote:
Tue, 28 Jul 2020 10:31 pm
...I want to renounce my son's citizenship but as I HV read all of Ur posts it seems it will be done at 21 years of age....
Can any pls guide me how can i avoid making him do NS ... As I also don't have any lien in Singapore......
Pls some one guide me through to come out of this mess...
don't renew his SG PP!

and if if you have really read all the posts, you'd already know what steps should be taken.

but iirc... [removed - take a look at PNG's post below!]

i'd let other more knowledgeable members chime in if i'm wrong.

edited!
Last edited by taxico on Wed, 29 Jul 2020 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 29 Jul 2020 8:25 am

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 23 Aug 2020 12:37 pm

Follow the blog steps posted by PNGMK is a good start
@BDS_234
I would added this .
Inform CMPB and ICA at the son age of 11 that he is deferring till 21 and renounce upon reaching 21.
Due to Covid, many of the front line at CMPB are working from home. their turnaround for reply or even email takes ages. Persistent is the key and keep tab of your comms with them is important for future reference
The timeline of his age is important on what to do.
You do it early , you will be on the right side of the law
There is nothing much else to add
BTW no pm, I will not reply
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 23 Aug 2020 12:58 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Sun, 23 Aug 2020 12:37 pm
Follow the blog steps posted by PNGMK is a good start
@BDS_234
I would added this .
Inform CMPB and ICA at the son age of 11 that he is deferring till 21 and renounce upon reaching 21.
Due to Covid, many of the front line at CMPB are working from home. their turnaround for reply or even email takes ages. Persistent is the key and keep tab of your comms with them is important for future reference
The timeline of his age is important on what to do.
You do it early , you will be on the right side of the law
There is nothing much else to add
BTW no pm, I will not reply
Good point MS (re starting the correspondence at 11). My SC son starts NS next April!

Baobaotou

Post by Baobaotou » Wed, 21 Apr 2021 6:04 am

Hi I have been reviewing the forum and appreciate all the information. However I want to bring up this issue I believe it is new. My son is 6 and no NRIC nor SG passport. Did not apply for baby bonus upon registration of his birth overseas. Recently I realized he has a CPF account and upon googling I think there is a govt grant automatically deposited to his medisave (based on google it is likely 4k as I don't have visibility of his account). Have emailed CPF to see if there is a way we can return it. I am worries it might impact later on the deferment. Any thoughts?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 21 Apr 2021 7:16 am

Baobaotou wrote:
Wed, 21 Apr 2021 6:04 am
Hi I have been reviewing the forum and appreciate all the information. However I want to bring up this issue I believe it is new. My son is 6 and no NRIC nor SG passport. Did not apply for baby bonus upon registration of his birth overseas. Recently I realized he has a CPF account and upon googling I think there is a govt grant automatically deposited to his medisave (based on google it is likely 4k as I don't have visibility of his account). Have emailed CPF to see if there is a way we can return it. I am worries it might impact later on the deferment. Any thoughts?
This sounds like the Baby Bonus payment. You're certainly correct to consider it an issue. Let us know what happens please.

Baobaotou

Post by Baobaotou » Wed, 21 Apr 2021 9:03 am

Sure I will! Ya I was aware of the baby bouns so I purposely did not apply for it. But this Kids CPF thing is completely automatic without my consent...I am in process to renounce my citizenship and have emailed oversea commission to see if they can take on my son’s renounce case as well...