Singapore Expats Forum

Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
yoongcy421

Re: Conversion of foreign driving licenses for PR

Postby yoongcy421 » Mon, 01 Oct 2018 12:34 pm

Sorry noob question but I just got my PR in August.
Looking to quickly convert to SG driving license to avoid having to take test in future when I need a car.

Do you know if they will void the malaysian license since the process is called "converting"?

jasonlel

Postby jasonlel » Mon, 01 Oct 2018 1:19 pm

yoongcy421 wrote:Sorry noob question but I just got my PR in August.
Looking to quickly convert to SG driving license to avoid having to take test in future when I need a car.

Do you know if they will void the malaysian license since the process is called "converting"?
Once you request the conversion letter from jpj, jpj will deactivate your driving license in their system.

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

yoongcy421

Postby yoongcy421 » Mon, 01 Oct 2018 1:25 pm

jasonlel wrote:

Once you request the conversion letter from jpj, jpj will deactivate your driving license in their system.

if that's the case, does it mean that you cannot drive in Malaysia anymore?
I tried google but the verdict is half half. some say sg license can drive your private car in Malaysia some say cannot.

jasonlel

Postby jasonlel » Mon, 01 Oct 2018 1:31 pm

yoongcy421 wrote:
jasonlel wrote:

I tried google but the verdict is half half. some say sg license can drive your private car in Malaysia some say cannot.
As of today's law, Malaysian holding a valid sg license can drive both sg n malaysia car in Malaysia.

honeycarey

Postby honeycarey » Sat, 24 Nov 2018 4:43 pm

jasonlel wrote:
yoongcy421 wrote:
jasonlel wrote:Once you request the conversion letter from jpj, jpj will deactivate your driving license in their system.

As of today's law, Malaysian holding a valid sg license can drive both sg n malaysia car in Malaysia.

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a Singapore PR (Malaysian) and I just converted my driving licence.
I read some forums that Malaysians who converted to SG licence can no longer drive MY cars in MY because their MY license will be deactivated as soon as we get the extract letters from JPJ.

Based on your reply, is it confirmed that we can use our SG licence in MY as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 25 Nov 2018 10:32 am

honeycarey wrote:
jasonlel wrote:
yoongcy421 wrote:if that's the case, does it mean that you cannot drive in Malaysia anymore?

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a Singapore PR (Malaysian) and I just converted my driving licence.
I read some forums that Malaysians who converted to SG licence can no longer drive MY cars in MY because their MY license will be deactivated as soon as we get the extract letters from JPJ.

Based on your reply, is it confirmed that we can use our SG licence in MY as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The corrupt JPJ will use any excuse to ask for coffee money so it doesn't matter what the shitty MY law says.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!