Singapore Expats

Looking for an amazing condo; what’s your favourite?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
samj

Looking for an amazing condo; what’s your favourite?

Post by samj » Tue, 24 Jul 2018 4:08 pm

G’day!

I recently moved to Singapore and have been spoiled house sitting for a friend in the Holland Village area (Leedon Residence), but now it’s time to find our own place (from September) as a young(ish) couple with no kids, family members, or pets.

Looking for some/all of the following for $2,500-4,000/month (maybe $5,000 for the perfect place):
  • condo with decent core amenities (pool, bbq, gym, etc.)... or an out-of-this-world walk-up or HDB
  • two bedroom, or one plus study (hard to justify a third that will likely go unused)
  • central location (with cafes, shops, restaurants, bars, hawker centre, etc. on the doorstep or at least nearby)
  • public transport (short walk to MRT/bus as we haven’t had a car since 2004!)
  • community (single/couple western expats over families)
  • usable space (~800+ sq ft, reasonable price per sq ft, not jacked up by balconies etc.)
  • reasonable outlook/view (as I/we will be working from home a fair bit and don’t want to be staring at a wall, highway, construction, port, etc.)
  • relatively quiet (noting that cities are anything but quiet; no highways, construction, etc.)
  • clean and ideally modern/renovated (noting newer builds tend to be smaller)
  • balcony/planter (I guess I’m dreaming to expect a ground floor patio in this budget!)
  • flexible lease/furnishing (will likely stay 3-5 years but would prefer a 1 year least to 2 years w/ diplomacy clause, and probably prefer to furnish it myself)
Not looking for:
  • miniscule second bedroom
  • live in helper (though the option and storage would be nice)
  • high density or megacomplex (Interlace, Reflections, d’Leedon, etc.)
  • skyscrapers (Commonwealth etc.)
  • heaps of pointless amenities (golf simulators?!)
  • shopping district (Orchard et al)
  • car park (but the option for guests is fine)
Have seen (in order of preference):
  • Caribbean: best of the bunch so far, and about to pull the trigger but for not being central
  • Parc Emily: one of our favourites, but not great for my office near Alexandra/next to The Interlace... still in the running
  • Corals: beautiful but small (especially 2nd bedroom/study), which is typical of new builds
  • Leedon Residence: awesome but top of budget range, quiet, and limited transport
  • d’Leedon: better than we expected, but still a megacomplex
Considering the following areas next:
  • Tiong Bahru/Redhill
  • Robertson Quay/Fort Canning
  • Dhoby Ghaut/Little India/Farrer Park
  • Others?
What’s your favourite condo, and why? I feel like I might be missing something, and don’t want to find out the minute I sign my life away!

Sam

Search By

MariaGiovanni

Re: Looking for an amazing condo; what’s your favourite?

Post by MariaGiovanni » Fri, 28 Sep 2018 10:12 am

Hi,

My best friend lives in Corals and she loves the convenience of the location! Corals is pretty quiet now cos there aren't a lot of people there and the view is 10/10! Beware, the ships get a little noisy. Corals is nearer to the MRT than Caribbean, so its a plus.

Corals and Caribbean are really good options I feel. In terms of central (habourfront) is as central as most get and its an amazing place! It has about 3 lines connecting (purple, yellow + green a stop away). Consider bus/ mrt connectivity if you're going without a car.

But it depends on your work place? or places you'd likely to be constantly shuttling from.

I live near habourfront and it takes me a short time to get to anywhere.

Most places in SG are quite noisy. My expat friends stay in dempsey, tiong bahru, east coast/katong. They say its quieter! Perhaps have a look around there.