Singapore Expats

What are my chances of getting a PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
moon777

What are my chances of getting a PR?

Post by moon777 » Sat, 22 Sep 2018 8:47 pm

Hi,

I am planning to apply for PR after working for 1 year under S pass (probably end of 2019).

Some background info:

Education: Took PSLE and O Level at local schools in Singapore, Diploma at Republic Polytechnic

Stay in Singapore: 13 years total

Employment: Just got a job at an MNC doing something related to my diploma under S Pass

Nationality: Eurasian with Thai passport

None of my parents are Singaporeans or PR and have relocated to another country in 2015 while I continued my studies here. Hence, I am applying the PR under my own merit. I speak singlish and all my friends are here. I want to reside here permanently and get citizenship one day.

What do you think are my chances of getting PR? How long should I wait before applying?

Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: What are my chances of getting a PR?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Sep 2018 9:29 am

50:50 Interesting, though. You did not mention gender. In your case, I'm thinking maybe 70:30 if you are a female. If you are a male, having done your schooling here may make for a disadvantage as you would be attempting to gain your PR under the PTS scheme which at a very young age, would still exempt you from NS as a 1st Gen PR. I see a problem with the government giving that to you as you have used the country for 11 or 12 years for your education but will not be doing any NS obligation if given PR under the PTS scheme. This isn't fact, nor is it written in stone, but just my gut feeling. If you are a female, however, I'd say the possibilities are there.

Good luck in either case.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

moon777

Post by moon777 » Mon, 24 Sep 2018 1:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:50:50 Interesting, though. You did not mention gender. In your case, I'm thinking maybe 70:30 if you are a female. If you are a male, having done your schooling here may make for a disadvantage as you would be attempting to gain your PR under the PTS scheme which at a very young age, would still exempt you from NS as a 1st Gen PR. I see a problem with the government giving that to you as you have used the country for 11 or 12 years for your education but will not be doing any NS obligation if given PR under the PTS scheme. This isn't fact, nor is it written in stone, but just my gut feeling. If you are a female, however, I'd say the possibilities are there.

Good luck in either case.
Thanks for the reply :) Yes, I am female. Do you think I can apply for it 6 months after working or should I wait for at least a year(if it makes a difference in the chance of getting approved) first?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Sep 2018 3:59 pm

The current wisdom and has been for a number of years now, is wait until you have worked two full years or have three consecutive tax assessments - you will find this on the application form, not on the website. (doesn't mean you actually paid any taxes, but show you are employed for that length of time). Applying for it in 6 months (as is indicated by the ICA website) while permissible will only get you a letter of rejection asking you to possibly reapply in two years but you will be welcome to continue to work here on your current work visa as long as you can get it renewed by the MOM. If you are a tenured brain surgeon, however, they will happily accept your application in 6 months. The 6 months indication is only that you can apply, but not an indications that you will be anywhere near successful. ICA ALWAYS leaves themselves a side door.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

moon777

Post by moon777 » Mon, 24 Sep 2018 4:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The current wisdom and has been for a number of years now, is wait until you have worked two full years or have three consecutive tax assessments - you will find this on the application form, not on the website. (doesn't mean you actually paid any taxes, but show you are employed for that length of time). Applying for it in 6 months (as is indicated by the ICA website) while permissible will only get you a letter of rejection asking you to possibly reapply in two years but you will be welcome to continue to work here on your current work visa as long as you can get it renewed by the MOM. If you are a tenured brain surgeon, however, they will happily accept your application in 6 months. The 6 months indication is only that you can apply, but not an indications that you will be anywhere near successful. ICA ALWAYS leaves themselves a side door.
Ah I see, I guess I will work for a couple of years before applying for it then. No rush for me as I intend to stay in this company for quite some time. Just want to be more prepared and increase my chances before applying. Thank you so much for your insight :)