Singapore Expats

Tenant agent fee if contracting for a unit not introduced by him/her

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
vinsg

Tenant agent fee if contracting for a unit not introduced by him/her

Post by vinsg » Mon, 24 Sep 2018 3:24 pm

Hi all,

I'm new in Singapore currently in the middle of house hunting as an EP holder.
I'm trying to understand the courtesy in case I am contracting for a unit that I found myself while I have an agent who helped for viewings of other units. I assume I don't need to pay him because he wasn't involved (e.g., scheduling for viewing, negotiation, etc.) in this particular one I'm going to contract, but just want to clarify so I'm not "cheating."

So here's some context: I initially searched multiple websites to shortlist some candidate units and contacted the agents myself for viewing. Among them I found one unit a very good deal ("property A") and discussed with the landlord's agent (who uploaded the ad on ..sg) for further negotiation.

After I tried further bargaining, I didn't hear back from the agent (he read my message but didn't reply for multiple days) so I decided to look for other units. Then my Singaporean colleague introduced me his agent. He came to my office to pick me up and went for viewing one unit (which I didn't like) and he said he would prepare for more viewings based on my asks of location, budget, etc. We then met up on a weekend day to view 5 units over 5 hours. I kinda liked 2 of them, and I said i would let him know whether to proceed with either one.

And then I got a call from the agent from the "property A" this morning that the landlord accepted my bargaining. Now I just need to sign the paper for this unit as this one was by far the best deal for me, but now I'm not sure how to treat "my" agent. Any advice/thoughts? Thank you!

Search By