Singapore Expats

Need advice- Moving equipment to West Africa

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
strikeclub

Need advice- Moving equipment to West Africa

Post by strikeclub » Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:49 pm

Hi, I am moving to West Africa to do some volunteer work in wildlife conservation. But I also have a whole load of gear and equipment (PCs and video equipment) to bring along with me.
The total weight of the equipment will probably be 50kg.
Can anyone advice what would be the safest and cheapest way to do this, bearing in mind the destination is Africa?
Or is there anyone in the airline, shipping or courier industry who can help?
Thanks!

Bubbles

Moving to West Africa

Post by Bubbles » Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:23 pm

Are you going to Nigeria, Lagos?

Not sure about the question you asked, but can I just say.......be careful there. It's not like other places, and NOTHING like Singapore.
Nigerians are lovely, but please be aware that there is dreadful poverty and crime is high.

Do not walk alone in Lagos after dark, and be aware you maybe stopped in taxis for strange reasons. Be alert. Go out with friends, keep money to a minimum when carrying it around.

Not sure if your male or female, but ABSOLUTELY do NOT go anywhere alone if you are female.

It's a beautiful country, the people are warm and friendly, but.........
Take care.

strikeclub

Post by strikeclub » Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:27 am

Hi Bubbles, Thanks for the advice!

I will be based in Cameroon, but the nature of the work will require me to travel around the region, so will be setting foot in Nigeria, Lagos. Yes, safety and health issues do concern me. I am male, but have also heard that in some areas it can be more dangerous for males. You sound like you've had some traveling or living experience there. Did you?

What I was asking is- if anyone can help or advice on transporting the equipment from Singapore to West Africa.

I need to figure out a cost effective and safe way to do this. May not be able to afford much as it is for a non-profit cause and I not getting paid either. So, if there is anyone who can help out or point me in the right direction, that'll be great!

Bubbles

Leaving For W.Africa

Post by Bubbles » Mon, 26 Jul 2004 8:57 pm

Hi Strikeclub

No, I didn't live there, but my husband did for two years. He loved it but found everything just so different.

For instance, the poverty. It's everywhere and as with folks who are so much poorer, they take a different route, or chances, at obtaining money. Not all, of course, but the temptation is there for crime, Be VERY CAREFUL.

People have guns. The police do. Sometimes you can gets stopped when you are out driving. Not always by the law either. Try to get a local driver, best not to drive alone. If you think there's trouble, and you are in the car alone, drive ahead, don't stop.

Health is a problem. Not for us luckier ones, but do not bathe in rivers for goodness sake, and careful to take malaria meds. Have every shot you can get your hands on before you go. And more.

However, let me add that Nigerian people are amongst the world's kindest folk and bring you into their families as if you were a long lost son. Enjoy your stay. I am sorry I can't help with your initial questions. Where in the world are you, is it the UK or Sing? He got his stuff transported from Wales to Lagos, no problem. All intact, there and back.

Regards.