Singapore Expats

Spouse with Law degree from London and Mandarin/English fluency - what approach do you recommend?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Mental24

Spouse with Law degree from London and Mandarin/English fluency - what approach do you recommend?

Post by Mental24 » Sat, 08 Sep 2018 6:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been offered an interesting and well-paid job in Singapore. I however also have the concern that many peers share with me - what would my spouse do? She will certainly come along.

Although I have read many times on this forum that it is very challenging for spouses to find jobs in Singapore, I wonder if our case may be different. She has a law degree from London, speaks English and Mandarin fluently. We are here for long-term, my contract is not time limited. She would be on a dependents pass.

What approach would you choose to find a job under the condition that we have zero network in Singapore? JobStreet? Agencies like .? Michael Page?

Thank you very much for your insights.

Regards

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Spouse with Law degree from London and Mandarin/English fluency - what approach do you recommend?

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 09 Sep 2018 8:38 am

LINKEDIN and networking
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Spouse with Law degree from London and Mandarin/English fluency - what approach do you recommend?

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Sep 2018 9:01 pm

Hook up with volunteer organizations such as Friends of the Museum, AmCham, Amercian Association (and the British counterpart), American Women's Association, AIDHA, and such. Plenty of opportunity to meet men and women who either have careers or whose spouses have careers and hence network connections into possible jobs. I know a number of women who have parlayed volunteer activities into successful careers.

Mental24

Post by Mental24 » Tue, 11 Sep 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you very much, everyone. One additional question: considering the pressure to hire local Singaporeans over foreigners, is it even possible to get an entry level job on a dependents pass? In these situations, wouldn’t it be impossible for the company to prove that there is no Singaporean who could also do the job?

Thank you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Sep 2018 10:18 pm

Mental24 wrote:Thank you very much, everyone. One additional question: considering the pressure to hire local Singaporeans over foreigners, is it even possible to get an entry level job on a dependents pass? In these situations, wouldn’t it be impossible for the company to prove that there is no Singaporean who could also do the job?

Thank you!
If you're a typical Singaporean small business, and you try to hire people from the sub-continent, then yes, your line if thinking is correct.

OTOH, if you're a substantial multi-national, and you already have a lot of Singaporeans working in your company at a variety of levels and responsibilities, then a request for an EP is not going to raise very many eyebrows... you'll get what you asked for.