Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Hopeless

Post by Hopeless » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 5:15 pm

Ex-SGirl wrote:
Ex-SGirl wrote:
Hopeless wrote: Other employers? U mean after u left SQ? Btw how long did u stay in SQ before u left? And what field did u further ur studies? :)
Other employers before and after SQ. I just completed my Honour degree in business admin :lol:
BTW, I'm 27 this year... hahahaha... time to get married and have baby already :P
Wow wish i have that "energy" to further studies!
Hey u're still young lah, I'm 29 tis year, stil not married u knw...hehe!

Ex-SGirl

Post by Ex-SGirl » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 5:21 pm

Hopeless wrote:
Ex-SGirl wrote:
Ex-SGirl wrote: Other employers before and after SQ. I just completed my Honour degree in business admin :lol:
BTW, I'm 27 this year... hahahaha... time to get married and have baby already :P
Wow wish i have that "energy" to further studies!
Hey u're still young lah, I'm 29 tis year, stil not married u knw...hehe!
As what Batch 792 said, cabin crew is not a career. It's just an experience. I was there for only 3 months (been on training flights too) and left due to medical problem - skin. I undergone several treatments and was fully-discharged after 6months. But I do not have the intention to return cuz it's not something I wanted. I'm drawing a reasonable pay now and I'm contented. Guess, that's what life is all about..... hehehehehe....

xieu

Post by xieu » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 6:02 pm

JaS wrote:Gals I Just Got My Email For 1300hours. So Afternoon Not Necessarily For Msian
i'm Local

Guess They Just Started Sending e Aftnoon Batch

Anyonw At This Time want to Meet up?
Hi, wad time did u get ur mail Jas? AND when did u submit? i submitted mine on 17th afternoon.. pls reply thanks!

demoralized

Post by demoralized » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 6:33 pm

anyone here know the selection criteria?

Hopeless

Post by Hopeless » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 6:35 pm

Hi Ex-SGal,

What hapened to ur skin? Hope it has fully recovered....was it due to the stress in the air? I understand that one will have to pay the bond if u resign before the bond period...so did u pay the bond?

Twinkie

Post by Twinkie » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 6:44 pm

Batch 792 wrote:Hi to everyone here..

Just want to share with all that, SIA is a very good place to earn money & to make a great saving for further studies, buy a car, buy a house, get married, etc..etc... or simply just save and watch your bank account go up tremendously every month!

I am from Batch 792 and my contract is just up... I joined 2 years ago when i was 22, and am coming 25 this year. When I applied I just want to fulfilled my dream and have a taste of an Air Stewardess life...

Since my family & bf dont encourage it as a long term career...and I share the same opinion, I decided not to continue my career with SIA and had just tendered my resignation last week... now serving my last month in SIA...

It's great to see so many people here having dreams like me 2 years back!!

I have make really great savings these 2 years...almost to $27K...

So i have decided to take a few months break before looking for a ground job....

Just a piece of advice...SIA allow u to make big bucks...but keep in mind that u have to save up beside spending... because I have friends who fly for 4-5 years and their saving is still 0! When they wanted to stop and feel tired, they cant, because they cant fetch that high pay outside and they have no savings to stop working... so do save up while working for SIA. You wont regret!

For those interested, while flying for SIA the past 2 years... my monthly pay + allowances + IFA + uniform allowances... fetch me from the lowest being $3,200.00 to the highest of $5,800.00.

Go for it girls!
Hi Batch 792,

Can u tell us hows the life as a flight stewardesses? Is it really that "political" inside, with lotsa rumours??

How much do u save (approximately) every month to save up to abt $27K? Thats a lot of $$ to save just within 2 years!

I heard many of the stewardesses get tired of this kinda job after afew years of flying...why is that so? Izit the job scope? Or they're sick of the places they've travelled?

Why do u say that its not a long-term career?

Erhh...i know i sounded ignorant and inquisitive... but i just wana know more abt SIA before i plunge in..... :wink:

paige

Post by paige » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 6:50 pm

zhuzhu leong wrote:By the way,

to all those who posted their applications on the 17th, i trust that you shouldnt give up hope. tons of those who applied on the same day has yet to receive anything. it meant you are normal. for those who posted on that day, it might mean that you have fallen to the next round due to overwhelming response.

I submitted my application rater late for the april intake, and went in for interview in may where most girls had theirs in april. for the may interview, all the girls i met are those who submitted late as well...

so dont worry too much k? im pretty sure you HAVENT receive.
Hey zhuzhu leong, thanks for the encouragement... now juz hope they will shortlist me... :wink:

Paige

Post by Paige » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 6:54 pm

Catmeat wrote:hi i also just rec'ed email from SIA today. im really happy. i tot i got no hope!!!!! my interview is on 2july in the afternoon. good luckl all!!!
Hi Catmeat,
All the best for your interview on saturday.... really envy... :)

dyra

Re: TO: Karen

Post by dyra » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 7:22 pm

eliza wrote:
karen wrote:
FAwannabe wrote:Hi Karen,

Im also 27 this year!! And im trying out for SIA's flight stewardess position also... Im not sure if the age limit is @ 26 tho because Ive got friends(in SIA) who told me they met juz freshies who got in at the age of 28!

And a couple of years ago, another friend of mine who got in at the age of 25, said that she was surprised to find a 27 yr old girl in her training class... so i s'pose it all boils down to your CRM experiences, communication skills, the number of foreign languages u know etc.

Have u tried writing in yet? Any success? :)
hi Fawannabe,

the 1st time i tried, i was 26 years old, and i was invited to the interview. but didn't make it thru.

so i applied twice again, when i turned 27, but never once got a reply from them. so disappointed... i speak a 3rd language, but prob, they dun need it...

i was sick with gastric flu and cough when i went for the interview last time. wasn't in a very good frame of mind, i guess, feeling tired, look sickly and tired... so now, i hope that i can have another chance again.

are u sure there are newbies age 26-28?

this time round, i did apply, but no reply from them yet...sooo sad... :(
hi Hopless and FAwannabe and karen

dun worry, just keep trying and dun worry abt the age thingy. my friend got in on her 3rd attempt & she was 26 years old then. she has been flying for 5 years. at her time, it was a walk-in-interview.

she also met new trainees who are age from 26-29 year old. and i get to know a girl thru my sister, who is also a flight stewardess. she was 28 years old when she got in late last year and she applied 8 times before she got in. and she wasn't typical slim girl, more towards the big-boned type of girl.

so just keep applying and who knows, u might just be the one they are looking for in one of their recruitment.

also, sharon au, the artiste, who was once a stewardess with SIA, told me that the cut off age for locals (singaporean) is 29 years old (i asked her because i was interested in applying but i was then 26, now 27). so we can keep trying till then. btw, i am working in mediacorp in the filming area, that's why i get to work with sharon.

and i saw kym hg before. and she wasn't tall at all, think about 157cm only. and she was shorter than me quite a bit, i am abt 161cm. so, height isn't too much of a problem if u are 157cm, i suppose.

and i saw the post that jll post, the girls in SIA are really in various looks. from pretty to average-looking and some slightly below average i think.. hee... no offences taken, i just say who i feel. me no beauty either. ;)

the photos, u can take a look: http://photos.yahoo.com/woohoo123123123

all the best to all the girls out there! keep ur dreams alive! :D
i agree. my buddy's sister-in-law got thru the interview and got the stewardess job when she was 28 and has been flying for 10years. she is going to quit in a year's time cos of her family. wants to spend more time with her kids and hubby.

and heard from her that there are some chief stewardesses and IFSS who are age 40 years and above too. of course they must maintain their looks. and new batch girls who are 27, 28, 29 years old, with various education qualifications, from 'O' levels (in the past) to degree with honors and masters degree.

Ex-SGirl

Post by Ex-SGirl » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 8:06 pm

Hopeless wrote:Hi Ex-SGal,

What hapened to ur skin? Hope it has fully recovered....was it due to the stress in the air? I understand that one will have to pay the bond if u resign before the bond period...so did u pay the bond?
Hi hopeless, my skin problem has fully recovered, nothing serious. It's just warts and nothing to do with the stress or air pressure.... thanks for your concern :-)
BTW, they waive off my bond due to medical reason :lol:

reena

I need help

Post by reena » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 8:21 pm

hi..i just got an email from singapore airlines attend an interview with them on 2nd July 2005..im not very confident to go for the interview and i was quite surprised when they emailed me..i have scars on my face :shock: thats sad!!but it can be covered by makeup..and plus im not slim either...plump...so now im torn whether to go for the interview and just try my luck or not to go???i speak french and spanish but not so fluent..but i speak great mandarin,english and malay...i need some kind advice on this...thanks a lot

mystical

Re: I need help

Post by mystical » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 8:30 pm

reena wrote:hi..i just got an email from singapore airlines attend an interview with them on 2nd July 2005..im not very confident to go for the interview and i was quite surprised when they emailed me..i have scars on my face :shock: thats sad!!but it can be covered by makeup..and plus im not slim either...plump...so now im torn whether to go for the interview and just try my luck or not to go???i speak french and spanish but not so fluent..but i speak great mandarin,english and malay...i need some kind advice on this...thanks a lot
hi,

what time is your interview? mine is at 1020.

i think you should try it out. at least get the experience.

since your scars can be covered by makeup, there's no harm trying!

FAwannabe

Re: I need help

Post by FAwannabe » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 8:41 pm

reena wrote:hi..i just got an email from singapore airlines attend an interview with them on 2nd July 2005..im not very confident to go for the interview and i was quite surprised when they emailed me..i have scars on my face :shock: thats sad!!but it can be covered by makeup..and plus im not slim either...plump...so now im torn whether to go for the interview and just try my luck or not to go???i speak french and spanish but not so fluent..but i speak great mandarin,english and malay...i need some kind advice on this...thanks a lot
Juz go for it! Good luck

shopaholic

Post by shopaholic » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 9:53 pm

crabmeat, I seem to have seen your posts earlier. Are you shortlisted for the 2nd time? As in, have you ever been shortlisted and went for the interviews before?

Post by Guest » Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:05 pm

plainyjaney wrote:
purpur wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Hey gals out there anyone have been invite the interview on the 2-July at abt 12.30pm slot, do leave a note here , may be we can meet up :)
and could the selected FA posted your way of success to enlighten us going for the interview......

Thanx a million.......
the first interview is a group interview were u will be doing a self intro and discussing a topic.. it varies from grp to grp.. so u dont have to really prepare for that..in my case, it was rather impromptu...also i didnt have to wait long for the interview..
if u make it through the first interview, u'll then go for second interview.. this is a one-to-one interview..if u pass this, u'll be asked to go down for the kebaya check and stuff..
the process is quite short..it took me about 1-1.5 hrs for both interviews..

Hope im of some help.. Gd luck gals!!
Are u a crew purpur?
im starting my training next mth.

To Amos, im not too sure about the kind of qns asked as like i said, it varies from group to group..