Singapore Expats

Advice - What is the best way to become medium-long term legal expat in SG

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
funkytown99

Advice - What is the best way to become medium-long term legal expat in SG

Post by funkytown99 » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 6:02 am

Hey, i'm coming through next week and looking for some feedback. I hold 2 passports, a Canadian and UK passport. I have a girlfriend in SG (local resident) and looking to arrive on a 30 or 90 day visa, stay medium/long term, and continue traveling in the region. I have no clients or business within Singapore, and work for myself. I've previously just visited countries and did visa runs, but i'm a bit older and things are bit more serious with having a local girlfriend. My plan was to spend 2-3 months getting to know the local business/startup scene and register a local company as a means of staying legally? I have heard things have become a bit harder the last few years? Is this a good or bad strategy?

What should I tell immigration? Should I be honest? Should I avoid the 90 day visas, and stick with 30 day visas? How long could I do that for? Concerned it could take 6 months or longer for registering a local company and going through those hoops. Does anyone have any suggestions on this, or latest feedback on what's going on? This feels hard b/c I don't think i'm doing anything illegal? Thoughts?

Also.. I have a flight back home in late Dec, but don't want to create extra problems at the airport. Planning to return to SG again in January. I could book a flight out of SG sooner if that will help with customs? Should I limit my travel outside of SG during this time, or will it really matter? I've heard of other expats using 2 passports and doing visa runs every 30 days. Seems risky

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Advice - What is the best way to become medium-long term legal expat in SG

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 9:48 am

Visa runs only work now if done for longer periods and to further than Battam or JB.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 11:19 am

What are you going to be honest about with immigration? As long as you're not actually working, they don't much care what you do so long as you don't overstay your visa.

It takes 3 days or less to get a company formed in Singapore... nothing like a lot of other countries. As a result, there are no shelf companies or any of that crap. Getting yourself a work permit and residency is another story... you need to read through the many threads in the Business and Career forums, many which have my handle on them... to get an idea of what you should be preparing to do if you think you want to form a company.

You'll probably get 90 days with either passport. Take it. Then like PNGMK said, go somewhere besides JB. Enjoy the opportunity to visit Asia. You could certainly get half a year, maybe more out of social visit passes IF you are genuinely taking the time to travel elsewhere.

tanleeandchoo

Post by tanleeandchoo » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 4:14 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:What are you going to be honest about with immigration? As long as you're not actually working, they don't much care what you do so long as you don't overstay your visa.

It takes 3 days or less to get a company formed in Singapore... nothing like a lot of other countries. As a result, there are no shelf companies or any of that crap. Getting yourself a work permit and residency is another story... you need to read through the many threads in the Business and Career forums, many which have my handle on them... to get an idea of what you should be preparing to do if you think you want to form a company.

You'll probably get 90 days with either passport. Take it. Then like PNGMK said, go somewhere besides JB. Enjoy the opportunity to visit Asia. You could certainly get half a year, maybe more out of social visit passes IF you are genuinely taking the time to travel elsewhere.

I agree, You right

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 23 Aug 2018 11:57 am

Around 5 years ago, I was looking for work in Singapore. Between interviews I was travelling the region returning when necessary.

I probably entered and exited on a short-term basis around 10-12 times over a 60 day period, usually staying in SG for 2-4 days at a time and being outside SG for 3-6 days at a stretch.

For the first 45 days or so I was waived through with no comment. On my last 2 trips, the immigration officer did ask what my business was (I told them a job interview).

I suspect much longer and I would have had longer conversations but fortunately by that point I had secured a position.