Singapore Expats

Network Cable - CAT6

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
JULIAN080

Network Cable - CAT6

Post by JULIAN080 » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 5:01 pm

Hello Guys,

Just would like to check with you,

I'm trying to do some re-wire my Network study room,

However, I came across some CAT6 network cable in the market that are Round Shape Cable and Flat Shape Cable. #-o

But still not too sure which one to apply...

Hopefully some of the IT guys here can help to advise which type is suitable for home network ?

Many Thanks for your great help!!
Last edited by JULIAN080 on Mon, 13 Aug 2018 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Network Cable - CAT6

Post by bgd » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 5:28 pm

Shape won't matter, it's just the wire configuration to cover different routing options, e.g flat would go under carpet better than round.

JULIAN080

Post by JULIAN080 » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks bgd,

I understand from some IT shop, For Home Network, Its better to get Round shape CAT6 cable, They are more rugged and tougher than flat type ? Not too sure..

However from the looks & feel, The round shape CAT6 cable does look much tougher than the Flat type ones. The Flats types feel a little fragile...

I read somewhere online that Round ones are better than those flats type. But cant find the articles now.. haha.

JULIAN080

Post by JULIAN080 » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 6:44 pm

bgd,

This is the articles I found.

It does make some sense after reading it.. :o :roll:

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 8:00 pm

Why do you want CAT6? For most purposes, CAT5e is all you will ever need. Most hardwire connected devices have gigabit ports, which CAT5e supports under 100 meters.

As you go from CAT5 to CAT5e to CAT6, both the wire size and insulation thickness increase, not because anyone is trying to make the cable tougher but because it is required to support the higher data speeds.

If you think you need "tougher" cable, what you really need are cable protectors or cable runs. It's not a good idea to put cable under carpet where it will be walked on, for example, unless you have taken steps to protect it.

Note: I have cabled multiple offices and homes.

JULIAN080

Post by JULIAN080 » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 8:19 pm

Thanks Strong Eagle,

Isn't it CAT6 will be more full proof for future ? Not too sure.. Just my 2 cents thots.. :mrgreen:

Then solve my problem..

Don't need to make a trip down to town.. don't need to jam on road.. :P

since their CAT6 Cable are from 3M or Belden.. should be good enough thots.. Branded..

Considering ... considering..

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 8:56 pm

What devices are you going to connect that will run faster than gigabit speed? I'm not saying don't do it, and, I've seen a lot of people incur the unnecessary expense of CAT6. It's also much harder to terminate if you're making your own cables.

JULIAN080

Post by JULIAN080 » Mon, 13 Aug 2018 2:35 pm

Hey Strong Eagle,

Thanks for your advise!

10m, 15m, 20m, Trusted Brand - 3M :P

@ least don't need to go shopping mall to buy..

Just for my simple home network with printer, router, modem, hub.. :mrgreen:

But probably full proof them for future use, :-k

should reached tomorrow or Wednesday.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 13 Aug 2018 8:34 pm

Food for thought: The average printer only needs well under megabit speeds for printing, and most printers will only have 100 base T ports. IP phones required under 200K bps for voice conversations, and again, will be 100 meg ports.

The average high definition movie requires 6 megabits per second, gaming maybe twice that. In theory, one CAT5e cable could carry a 100 movies. So, if you're talking about plugging in premade cables you can save some $$$ with CAT5e.

Again, it's your choice, won't hurt anything by buying the more expensive cables, and I've seen people cable whole offices with CAT6, at great additional expense, without being able to justify why.

Now, if you have a very long run between to switches, or are experiencing interference from outside sources, CAT6 might be an answer.