Singapore Expats

PR Chances/Who to Include

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Datapoint334559

PR Chances/Who to Include

Post by Datapoint334559 » Mon, 13 Aug 2018 6:33 pm

I've had some changes since my last attempt at PR and would like some feedback or at least to think out loud.

Race: Caucasian
Nationality: USA
2 attempts to date(Never appealed)
8 years in Singapore (Last Application 3 years ago)
Senior Exectutive(CTO) in cybersecurity
Education: Technical Certs, Undergraduate degree, MBA from SMU (New since last application)
Monthly Salary: 7,800 when arrived in Singapore, 13,500 last application, Currently >20,000 base + bonus, share options, and my own passive income.

Family:
Wife 35 (Eastern European/Caucasian) Masters in Microbiology
1 Boy 5 years old
1 Boy 1.5 years old (new since previous application)

I am wondering if this is a material enough change to give it another shot. My wife is also a question mark. She doesn't work since biology is a pretty protected field in Singapore. The only feedback I ever received from ICA was to send a detailed summary of my wife's family. I am wondering if her origin from a "strange" country is affecting the rest of the application.

I naturally want to apply as a family unit but the application is more for my kids. My wife doesn't really benefit from being a PR and we are both OK if she isn't allowed to get it. Should I try without her first or try to remove her from the application on an appeal.

I'm definitely going to apply, I like living here and don't want to go anywhere else. Its a bit weird that Singapore is so difficult to settle down in while other less diverse and traditionally "Xenophobic" countries have approached me. My status has become a curiosity in my professional circles since I work directly with the government on many sensitive matters.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: PR Chances/Who to Include

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 13 Aug 2018 6:39 pm

Datapoint334559 wrote:I've had some changes since my last attempt at PR and would like some feedback or at least to think out loud.

Race: Caucasian
Nationality: USA
2 attempts to date(Never appealed)
8 years in Singapore (Last Application 3 years ago)
Senior Exectutive(CTO) in cybersecurity
Education: Technical Certs, Undergraduate degree, MBA from SMU (New since last application)
Monthly Salary: 7,800 when arrived in Singapore, 13,500 last application, Currently >20,000 base + bonus, share options, and my own passive income.

Family:
Wife 35 (Eastern European/Caucasian) Masters in Microbiology
1 Boy 5 years old
1 Boy 1.5 years old (new since previous application)

I am wondering if this is a material enough change to give it another shot. My wife is also a question mark. She doesn't work since biology is a pretty protected field in Singapore. The only feedback I ever received from ICA was to send a detailed summary of my wife's family. I am wondering if her origin from a "strange" country is affecting the rest of the application.

I naturally want to apply as a family unit but the application is more for my kids. My wife doesn't really benefit from being a PR and we are both OK if she isn't allowed to get it. Should I try without her first or try to remove her from the application on an appeal.

I'm definitely going to apply, I like living here and don't want to go anywhere else. Its a bit weird that Singapore is so difficult to settle down in while other less diverse and traditionally "Xenophobic" countries have approached me. My status has become a curiosity in my professional circles since I work directly with the government on many sensitive matters.

In your case, if you exclude your wife and kids from your PR application, your chances will almost be zero.

Even if you are rejected, note that it is not just because you had your wife on the application. They see the entire application as a whole and not just 1 criteria or factor.

Datapoint334559

Post by Datapoint334559 » Mon, 13 Aug 2018 6:42 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: They see the entire application as a whole and not just 1 criteria or factor.
To be candid, i've started assuming that it may actually be one factor that will never change. :D

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 13 Aug 2018 6:44 pm

Datapoint334559 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote: They see the entire application as a whole and not just 1 criteria or factor.
To be candid, i've started assuming that it may actually be one factor that will never change. :D
if you have completed your MBA, your younger son (hope he was born in SG), your exponential salary growth, length of stay in SG - all these are positive factors compared to your previous application. So, go ahead and submit as a family.

Between, are you on PEP?

Datapoint334559

Post by Datapoint334559 » Mon, 13 Aug 2018 6:51 pm

MBA is completed. First son was born here. My second son was born in my wife's country since my old boss died and I was stuck as de-facto head of the business. We needed family support and it was easier there.

I've held off on a PEP since its not renewable. I didn't want to burn it up while I didn't need it. My EP usually gets approved within the day and my work is specialized enough to keep me busy.