Singapore Expats

Singapore elderly?

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
casey5047

Re: Singapore elderly?

Post by casey5047 » Wed, 08 Aug 2018 2:16 pm

earthfriendly wrote:The more mercenary the culture, the more problematic it is for those who are economically-unproductive to survive. I saw this coming for countries like Singapore and China. Where money is everything, and sometimes even more important than one's life. Ironically, the Confucian concept of filial piety (absent in western culture, or at least not dogmatically-preached like the Chinese) is as old as the Chinese civilization. The dogmatism is not working out so well, eh? And no match for the power of the moolah. No money, no talk :) .
Has 'traditional' Chinese culture ever been anything but completely money-obsessed? All of the symbolism in Chinese New Year seems to be geared around wishing for more money (exchanging oranges, etc). The majority of Chinese people who go to Buddhist temples seem to be wishing for lottery numbers or continued business success, hoping their spiritual investment will generate greater financial returns. Are these latter day perversions or the way it's always been?

I've always thought 'Confucian values' is like 'Asian values,' a smokescreen used by parents to tell their children to listen and shut up, and more significantly by East Asian tyrants to tell their subjects to listen and shut up, and taint criticisms of their rule as Orientalist cultural imperialism. Not that I have any particular past leader in mind, ahem...

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Thu, 09 Aug 2018 11:50 am

Confucianism is a philosophy and social structure that lays out the code of conduct and social responsibilities of members of the society. It is an attempt to create a peaceful and orderly society. Widely endorsed within the Japanese culture and not so much by the Chinese. Although the latter, especially China's leadership, like to invoke it out of convenience to pursue their personal political agenda.

Instead of Confucianism, the modern Chinese culture (both within and outside China) revolves around money and the concept of face. Quite a fatal combination, if you ask me. There is nothing inherently wrong about trying to preserve one's "face" as we all want to create a good impression on others. More often than not, I have seen many examples of destructive behaviors when they take this pursuit of "face" too far...... passive aggression, defensiveness, upmanship, arrogance, sweeping things under the carpet and the general inability to collaborate and work alongside others. In short, they are not the easiest group of people to get along with.

My white husband was asked (or shall I say challenged) by a Chinese Singaporean if he liked Chinese food. It was a thinly-veiled test question and he really meant to ask hubby if he liked the Chinese (the people). Lol, welcome to Singapore, honey ! No choice lah, but to respond "yes" when you are being put in a spot (did I mention they are not the easiest to get along with :D ) even though Chinese food can be greasy, unhealthy and they don't always use choice beef cut. And that illustrates the problem with the Chinese "face" concept. It hinders rather than encourages real dialogue.

And not to mention, one has to be a little twisted in the brain to operate this way. Can you imagine the long term mental health issue faced by this group?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 10 Aug 2018 11:25 am

earthfriendly wrote:passive aggression, defensiveness, upmanship, arrogance, sweeping things under the carpet and the general inability to collaborate and work alongside others. In short, they are not the easiest group of people to get along with.
That very succinctly sums up Singaporeans. Then I meet someone who breaks the stereotype and all is forgiven. The beauty in Asia is that there is always something surprising just around the corner.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Sat, 11 Aug 2018 2:18 am

I was this person. Living overseas and interacting with other cultures transform my personality. It took decades of hard work on my part to unlearn these bad habits. I am one of the lucky one cause I have met many overseas Singaporeans who are still stuck in a rut.

And also, it is not normal nor healthy to be this self absorbed. It shouldn't be this difficult to locate a congenial person to hang out with. It should not be the norm (but the exception) for people to behave this way. Anyway, those who refuse to learn will suffer. They will find themselves getting passed over from all kinds of opportunities in life (e.g. employment, true friendships and relationships) cause nobody likes jerks.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Thu, 09 Jan 2020 2:39 pm

SG Gov need to do more on this , in future will be lots of singles who will become elderly.
I always look at japan how they handle elderly problems this is what Sg will be facing now and towards the future.

Gov does recently build more nursing home but end of the day just a place for elderly whole day sleeping on bed and waiting to RIP sadly. Well perhaps this is life.

Gov does encourage healthy elderly lifestyle but still lots of work needed to be done.
for this , I always look at China. Frankly speaking China come elderly welfare is not bad and good. They got allowances.

This is why you see China elderly who come to Sg seem happy and like to do lots of outdoor activities.
They even puzzle why Sg elderly still working , carry dirty plates at hawker , clean up , etc.
At first they thought the wages must be good or else why these elderly still work yet they have problems walking around but later come to know is not what they feel and think.

Haruki
Regular
Regular

Post by Haruki » Tue, 19 May 2020 6:57 pm

SGBoyxxx wrote:
Thu, 09 Jan 2020 2:39 pm
SG Gov need to do more on this , in future will be lots of singles who will become elderly.
I always look at japan how they handle elderly problems this is what Sg will be facing now and towards the future.

Gov does recently build more nursing home but end of the day just a place for elderly whole day sleeping on bed and waiting to RIP sadly. Well perhaps this is life.

Gov does encourage healthy elderly lifestyle but still lots of work needed to be done.
for this , I always look at China. Frankly speaking China come elderly welfare is not bad and good. They got allowances.

This is why you see China elderly who come to Sg seem happy and like to do lots of outdoor activities.
They even puzzle why Sg elderly still working , carry dirty plates at hawker , clean up , etc.
At first they thought the wages must be good or else why these elderly still work yet they have problems walking around but later come to know is not what they feel and think.
^ I had a random conversation on a plane with a PRC who said pretty much everything you listed! He was baffled because he thought Singapore would have had much stronger policies in place to care for the elderly, and was shocked to see so many of them still working when he visited SG. If I'm not wrong, people in China get to retire a little earlier too.

SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by SGBoyxxx » Sun, 31 May 2020 1:56 am

Haruki wrote:
Tue, 19 May 2020 6:57 pm
SGBoyxxx wrote:
Thu, 09 Jan 2020 2:39 pm

^ I had a random conversation on a plane with a PRC who said pretty much everything you listed! He was baffled because he thought Singapore would have had much stronger policies in place to care for the elderly, and was shocked to see so many of them still working when he visited SG. If I'm not wrong, people in China get to retire a little earlier too.
Yes, Elderly in China retire earlier roughly in their 50s or so . The Gov does support them quite well etc.
I not sure is it apply to all states .