Singapore Expats

getting a job as newly married to Singaporean - Letter of Consent

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
MisterBlue

getting a job as newly married to Singaporean - Letter of Consent

Post by MisterBlue » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 2:35 pm

Hi,
I heard that after getting marriaged to Singaporean I'd need Letter of Consent to apply for jobs.
As I heard it is quite difficult to find a new job even having that Letter of Consent. Does anybody have an idea about the reality? I'm university educated, with 13+ years in supply chain. I'd not like to find myself in situation that after getting married I'm permanently unemployed and have to be dependant on my wife's salary. Did any of you face such a situation? How did you manage in long term ? I just heard some rumours that it can be extremely difficult to get job before getting PR, and in general foreigners are being replaced by locals for some time. Another question: What is avarage waiting time to get PR after getting married? I've been here for 2,5 years, and have worked 2 years. Currently unemployed... :)

thanks
M

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: getting a job as newly married to Singaporean - Letter of Consent

Post by bgd » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 2:51 pm

You first need a LTVP which you get by virtue of being married to a Singaporean. That isn't guaranteed but you can read up on passes here

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits

Your future employer would apply for the LOC. The biggest hurdle is probably finding employers who understand it. But generally there are less restrictions on employing an LOC, compared to SPass and EP.

PR is hard to come by these days, depending on race. Trawl this forum, you'll get the idea.

MisterBlue

Post by MisterBlue » Wed, 25 Jul 2018 10:25 pm

ok thanks for information. It seems that that's a kind of challenge to marry Singaporean and then struggle.
Anybody else here experienced the situation?
I'd highly appreciate :)
M

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 26 Jul 2018 9:50 am

MisterBlue wrote:...marry Singaporean and then struggle.
M
Seems to be the case with most (not all) the foreigners I know. Guys seem to have more success with other nationalities.

I know that's not what you meant. 8-)