Singapore Expats

Singapore-born children on student pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Avista12

Singapore-born children on student pass

Post by Avista12 » Sun, 08 Jul 2018 1:40 pm

Hello! Need guidance from the experts here. I and my spouse have been Singapore PR for ~10 years. Have two young children both born in SG and both on Student Pass currently, as we are not sure if we will settle in SG or abroad in the long run.

We are wondering if we should convert them to PR or keep them on Student Pass until they are students and then, incase they get a job in SG, convert it to EP.

(a) Is this a viable plan for them if we/they happen to settle in SG: Stay on student's pass throughout the student life, get an EP if you get a job in SG after your studies, covert the EP to PR after a few years of work and settle in SG.
(b) Will the boy have to serve NS if he obtains PR on his own qualifications after he is 21?
(c) Do we run a risk of our REP (or our children's future EP applications) getting rejected or viewed negatively because we kept our children on Student Pass and didn't make them PRs inspite of being born in SG?

Thank you very much in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Singapore-born children on student pass

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Jul 2018 3:45 pm

If you are both PR and you keep you son on a student pass in order bypass NS, then two things will happen, not necessarily in this order. Firstly, and this is a fact-I know of a personal case from close range whose son is having that exact problem. Once he turns 21, it will not matter naught that he wasn't a PR because his parents were and they deliberatly tried to abuse the system. What WILL happen is he will not get an EP/S/WP let along PR on his own merits. You will have screwed him for life with regard to staying in Singapore. An LTVP will not be possible either as once over 21 he cannot ride on your coattails any longer.
The 2nd thing that that may well happen is, as you guessed, you may not have your REPs renewed. Or they may renew it for 1 year to give you time to make arrangements to vacate Singapore for good.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Avista12

Post by Avista12 » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 12:59 am

Dear sundaymorningstaple, thank you v much for your well-informed reply, and this is what I suspected would be the case too. However, it is not mentioned officially anywhere, hence I chose to ask. (As opposed to the scenario where consequences of giving up your PR are clearly mentioned on ICA website.)

1) Are you aware of discussions on this topic on this forum or elsewhere? If yes, request if you can kindly point me to them, as I would like to go through them too.

2) In a hypothetical case, assume he does manage to obtain PR on his own merits when he is above 21. Can he be asked to serve NS, as a pre-condition to obtain PR?

Thank you again!

luckycricket

Post by luckycricket » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 5:55 am

Avista12 wrote:Dear sundaymorningstaple, thank you v much for your well-informed reply, and this is what I suspected would be the case too. However, it is not mentioned officially anywhere, hence I chose to ask. (As opposed to the scenario where consequences of giving up your PR are clearly mentioned on ICA website.)

1) Are you aware of discussions on this topic on this forum or elsewhere? If yes, request if you can kindly point me to them, as I would like to go through them too.

2) In a hypothetical case, assume he does manage to obtain PR on his own merits when he is above 21. Can he be asked to serve NS, as a pre-condition to obtain PR?

Thank you again!
These questions are not very significant. I think you should ask yourself a very important question. If after living another 20 years in this country ( or growing up here in case of your son), you are not willing to integrate and follow local rules/policies, then why do you/your son still want to be a PR here?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 09 Jul 2018 7:02 am

Just leave Singapore. Clearly you don't want to be a part of it. I foresee major issues with your rep coming.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!