Singapore Expats

need help?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
anhngoc032

need help?

Post by anhngoc032 » Sat, 07 Jul 2018 1:51 pm

Hello. I'm an IT Manager based in Toronto and I'm planning to move to Singapore by end of 2017 to be closer to family, though that said, I'm not a Singaporean and will need an EP to be in Singapore. I'd love some feedback about the most effective way to pin down a job in Singapore while still in Canada.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: need help?

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 08 Jul 2018 1:19 pm

This will be very difficult for you. Besides the fact that IT jobs are leaving Singapore in droves, you will have great difficulty even in securing a phone interview, let alone a job. You are an unknown quantity, you are outside the network of local candidates, both expat and local, and your being off the island suggest that there would be relocation costs which companies will typically not choose to bear.

Your best option is to go to work for an MNC and get transferred to Singapore... that's how most expats arrive... very few find a job from a cold start.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: need help?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Jul 2018 3:37 pm

He also didn't indicate whether his "based n Toronto" is due to employment pass or he is a Canadian or Vietnamese citizen. If Canadian Citizen (even if of Vietnamese extraction) it will be easier to get into Singapore than if he is still holding a Vietnamese Passport without holding a Canadian one.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers