Singapore Expats

Tax clearance

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Pinshot

Tax clearance

Post by Pinshot » Mon, 25 Jun 2018 7:02 pm

My employer failed to get tax clearance or even inform or mention it to me when offering me a relocation to the US. A year later when they shut down SG operations they ask me to pay immediately 65k in tax for tax clearance! This is based on future earnings from RSUs that were issued in SG but not even vested yet.

The law seems clear that the employer is at fault and should have filed and informed me of my tax bill well before moving me to the US. I don’t have this money so what are my options here? The company has tried to force me to take a loan of completely unreasonable terms from them in order that they pay it on my behalf.

Anyone got any experience with this?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Tax clearance

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Jun 2018 8:59 am

You need professional competent advice from a Singapore and possibly US tax accountant. The RSU issue is highly complex. I suspect you may also need an employment lawyer. No one here is going to be able to give you any real advice I suspect in what is a highly complex situation.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!