Singapore Expats

Report a safety issue with condo

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Report a safety issue with condo

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 3:24 pm

Hey

So my building is constantly having issues, amongst which the single lift for my half of the building constantly breaks down. During this time, the only option is a single stairwell. This stairwell is pitch black by day, and timer by light. I've raised this to the management company, but they stated:
"After discussions with estate chairman, we decide not to on all the staircase lights 24:7

so far the only one who feedbacked about this visibility issue is from u."
Is there a government agency I can report this safety issue to?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Report a safety issue with condo

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 3:29 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Hey

So my building is constantly having issues, amongst which the single lift for my half of the building constantly breaks down. During this time, the only option is a single stairwell. This stairwell is pitch black by day, and timer by light. I've raised this to the management company, but they stated:
"After discussions with estate chairman, we decide not to on all the staircase lights 24:7

I guess either nobody else use the stairwell in the day , or they don't want say anything in case they get "arrowed" and would rather fall and break their leg than speak up :)
Life is short, paddle harder!!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 3:56 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Hey

I don't think they violate any regulation. The only requirement is to have the illuminated exit lights.

Have you tried to propose motion triggered lighting?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 3:57 pm

x9200 wrote: Have you tried to propose motion triggered lighting?
They have this. The sensor is aimed down, so it only triggers if you're walking up the stairs. And even then, the range is border-line useless.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 4:10 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
x9200 wrote: Have you tried to propose motion triggered lighting?
They have this. The sensor is aimed down, so it only triggers if you're walking up the stairs. And even then, the range is border-line useless.
Not possible to do it right (replace/fix it)? Even with a simple wall switch triggered timer if it keeps the light on for long enough time?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 4:12 pm

I just asked them to turn the light on 24/7 for the few days it will take to fix the lift. They refused. I can't imagine they'd instead spend the money to properly fix the the sensor.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 9:30 pm

Try the BCA and SCDF. Both of those have powers of enforcement for these issues. Note that I would focus on the elevator issue with BCA and the lighting issue with SCDF. 10:1 your MC has been delaying required repairs and replacement of the elevator winch / rope etc.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:46 pm

PNGMK wrote:Try the BCA and SCDF. Both of those have powers of enforcement for these issues. Note that I would focus on the elevator issue with BCA and the lighting issue with SCDF. 10:1 your MC has been delaying required repairs and replacement of the elevator winch / rope etc.
Thanks, I'll try SCDF. The building only TOP'd in 2014, so I'm not sure if the elevator is even due for required maintenance yet. Last year after an especially heavy rain the elevator was busted for over 10 days. After that, they now park the elevators at 6 (top floor) instead of lobby which I assume is to prevent the same issue. Guessing water got into something... This building is a pile of shit though. We were losing power after every heavy rain (building circuit breakers would flip) up until a few months ago when a power main finally fried. Half the building had no power for 14 hours while they had to replace it. LED Bulbs in my unit tend to burn out every 3-6 months randomly, and this whether I use shitty generics, IKEA, or Phillips. I'm out of here after next lease.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 Jun 2018 11:49 pm

1. Grounding practice in new condo's is shit IME. Singapore is desperately short of PUB licensed electrical inspectors and it's showing.
2. The margins in the condo business are so tight I'm sure they've gone for the cheapest bidder on the elevator - what brand is it? Noname Guanzhou lift company?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Sep 2018 9:47 pm

PNGMK wrote: 2. The margins in the condo business are so tight I'm sure they've gone for the cheapest bidder on the elevator - what brand is it? Noname Guanzhou lift company?

Actually, suprisingly it is a Toshiba. Actual Japanese Toshiba, not a slightly misspelt Japanese sounding local shit brand.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 04 Sep 2018 10:54 pm

Report it to BCA regardless. The inspection cert might be forged and you'll only notice as the lift jams and you're stuck inside for 3 hours. (TRUE STORY)