Singapore Expats

Parisilk in Holland Village

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Snarf

Post by Snarf » Tue, 03 Jun 2008 5:45 pm

I have been living here for a few years and buy most of my electronics at Parisilk. I had my first bad experience today as I noticed that they mislead the customers with their pricing. They show an advert with the price of a product, mention their price and show that they are cheaper but when you buy and pay for it they add 7% VAT to their price. I like buying there and don't care if they are 5 or 10% lower than elsewhere but just felt cheated after this experience. Anyone similar experience???javascript:emoticon(':x')

skye
Chatter
Chatter

Post by skye » Tue, 03 Jun 2008 6:03 pm

They ALWAYS quote prices without GST. If you shop there regularly I'm surprised you didn't notice it previously. It's a bit irritating but they are still usually competitive even after adding on the GST..

liual

Post by liual » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 8:46 am

I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw a Panasonic DECT phone I liked. They priced me at $233 compared to $299 at Courts, Best Denki, etc. I did not know if there was some kind of 'catch' (i.e. refurbished, stolen, etc) but Panasonic told me they were an authorized dealer and offered the same warranty. It is without GST but the price differential is still noticeable. Any qualms from anyone about buying from Parisilk?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:56 pm

I've used Paris Silk for 25 years. Way back when the only store was outside the Nee Soon Army camp. They've always been competitive. And usually were able to get you just about anything you wanted.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

road.not.taken
Editor
Editor

Post by road.not.taken » Thu, 05 Jun 2008 6:34 am

Sorry Snarf -- but their procedure sounds perfectly sound to me. I like Parisilk, they are professional and better still -- knowledgeable. Most places quote prices before GST, don't they?

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Thu, 05 Jun 2008 9:13 am

From my own experience pretty much everywhere does except hawker food places. The idea is to try to get the shop to eat the gst.

hendry03

Post by hendry03 » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 5:37 pm

Hi Guys,

I used to get my stuff from them too untill they really pissed me off...
I.E. consistant late deliveries, rather rude service at their store in NeeSoon. Untill I find nicer prices at a shop along Alexander. From then on, Parisilk is history....well at least to me.

Cheers!

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Sat, 05 Jul 2008 9:50 pm

Not too bad, and I always ask the price including GST when I shop there.

Have to admit they are normally very good on price and I would recommend them, but recently I bought a Canon camera for my sister, and they were not as good on price as a few of the other places and their "package" was nowhere near as good. I got a much better price at a place in Funan (where they quoted me the all up price as well).

I would advise that you find what you want, shop around and then ask them if they will match the best price you found, normally they will.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

bold_brave_spirit

Re: Parisilk in Holland Village

Post by bold_brave_spirit » Tue, 19 Jun 2018 10:01 pm

I just got jipped today. They replaced a faulty product but did so with a generic non branded version and then proceed to up the price of the item compared to what we originally agreed upon so I had to pay more AFTER I was quoted a lower price earlier.

I patronized them because having heard good things about them from other expats thought - why not support an independent instead of a larger retailer.

And then this. :(

I'm never going back - They've lost my trust and I don't like the BS they play with pricing. Ridiculous. Retailers like this are ruining Singapore's reputation for shopping for electronics.