Singapore Expats

Non-Delivery of Goods

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
skipper
Regular
Regular

Non-Delivery of Goods

Post by skipper » Thu, 22 Mar 2018 12:59 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I helped a friend from overseas buy some parts for his boat from a company here in SG (a distributor). My friend found his website and I basically connected them, they made the deal and my friend wired the money early Mar. There were subsequent discussions about the delivery then silence. Both of us can no longer reach the guy so I reached out to the principal (also here in SG) and found out that the guy is no longer a distributor and he did not order the parts. The principal told me who his authorized distributors are and I checked with them. It would appear that what happened to my friend is not an isolated case.

The amount involved is $6K -- so should I refer this to Small Claims Tribunal? But I've read that this is only possible if the guy agrees to a mediation. But he is hiding. He has an office (I will check later if it's still open) as I initially called him there. His website where he says that he is an authorized distributor of the principal and offers other services, looks legit. Other than that, I have a name and a mobile number, the emails with the quotation, Proforma Invoice and payment instructions as well as the WhatsApp messages. What else can I do?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Non-Delivery of Goods

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 22 Mar 2018 3:29 pm

Make a police report for cheating or fraud first.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 22 Mar 2018 8:17 pm

You might also contact CASE for advice/assistance in moving forward.

https://www.case.org.sg/

skipper
Regular
Regular

Post by skipper » Tue, 27 Mar 2018 3:31 pm

CASE is for complaints and they said they have no enforcement powers. I'll be going through the Small Claims Tribunal. By the way, went to see the company's office in Tuas and it's already closed.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 27 Mar 2018 6:26 pm

skipper wrote:CASE is for complaints and they said they have no enforcement powers. I'll be going through the Small Claims Tribunal. By the way, went to see the company's office in Tuas and it's already closed.
Have you made a police report?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

skipper
Regular
Regular

Post by skipper » Wed, 18 Apr 2018 5:34 pm

PNGMK wrote:
skipper wrote:CASE is for complaints and they said they have no enforcement powers. I'll be going through the Small Claims Tribunal. By the way, went to see the company's office in Tuas and it's already closed.
Have you made a police report?
Yes and the police said to go to SCT and bring along the police report. Will be going there on Friday, I already have the docs, including the ACRA Biz file and the authorization from my overseas friend to represent him.

atan3184

Post by atan3184 » Mon, 18 Jun 2018 2:37 pm

Not all online business can be trusted and it's really hard to trust your money to a business you haven't seen. Though I used to order online but not to the point that it cost me too much. Hopefully, this case will be solved soon. Wishing you luck man!

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Wed, 12 Oct 2022 9:21 am

Whats the update so far..? let us know..
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)