Singapore Expats

Dulwich School Singapore...my experience

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
singapore411

Dulwich School Singapore...my experience

Post by singapore411 » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 8:12 pm

So after hearing all the hype I went ahead to see this new "IT" school.

The school opened about 3 weeks ago with an enrolment of about 800 plus students.

The location is in Bukit Batok, about 15 more minutes of travel time, after the Science Centre. I'm not going to say anything on it being far, since most schools now are at a distance, with the exception of Chatsworth (orchard).

The area is still being built up, so you kind of enter "Crane City" but the building itself seemed charming (red bricks and clock tower). The class rooms are spacious and well kept. The equipment is still sparse, like play area, music and art room and library don't have a lot of things right now, but I assume this would look considerably different once they settle. Other facilities, swimming pool/gym seemed fine ( I was looking at the junior section), not very big though.

My reasons for seeing this school was because most of my friends had told me to visit it and lauded the Headmaster for being the sole reason they had been sold on choosing the school. But for me this was exactly the opposite!

The tour is being offered every Wednesday at 10am and starts off with a 40 minute(feeling more like 40 days) chest thumping presentation by the Head master, Nick Magnus.

I have yet to come across a sales pitch that seems so pompous, arrogant and egotistical. It went on and on about how they aspire to groom every child for the Ivy leagues, Oxford and the likes. How they excel in EVERY department of sports, music, drama then throwing big names who have attended in the past, from here there and everywhere.

Then there were the real gems that were dropped by saying things like:

My daughter was reading the unabridged version of Charles Dickens at the age of 6.." and
" Some people may say I am arrogant or an Elitist.."!

This was followed by Q&A, where Mr. Magnus did his best to give evasive answers to real questions,for example one parent asked:

" Can you give some examples of what disciplinary actions are taken for behavioural problems at your school"

" We are firm. we believe in firmness. If a child comes to me and I tell him I'll be with him shortly, Ive already lost him. So we are firm".
Wha??!!
I've seen real estate agents come up with better b.s while showing me crap, than this man!

I found no depth in what Mr. Magnus was saying, it seemed fake and pretentious and really for me the tour ended pretty much at the start!

Anyone else get that impression? Or am I the only one who feels that this is the last person my child needs to be following in terms of developing a strong sense of values and good sensibilities in a school.

Would like to hear more from parents who's kids have attended (Shangahi/UK)or will attend Dulwich and their experience and if they have had any issues that were managed well, since that really would be the true test of a good administration.
Thanks.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 9:20 pm

Appreciate the review. There will be parents who want that whole pompous thing though... you know the Bananas.

singapore411

Post by singapore411 » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:13 pm

PNGMK wrote:Appreciate the review. There will be parents who want that whole pompous thing though... you know the Bananas.
hahahhaha! I laughed out so loud i thought my kid would wake up!!!
Too good! :D

VicStan

Dulwich

Post by VicStan » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 12:57 pm

Hello!

Just thought to offer my 2 cents worth -

I have a couple of friends who have enrolled their children into this school.

I have taken a look at the curriculum and so far, I think that they are doing pretty well.

The students are assessed and grouped into different classes based on their strengths in language - I think this results in more targeted teaching.

In addition, I must say that the English homework and assessment they give is much more holistic and higher standard than those I have seen from other schools.

I am not too sure about the other subjects, but just thought i'll share this :)

Vic

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Dulwich

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:46 pm

VicStan wrote:Hello!

Just thought to offer my 2 cents worth -

I have a couple of friends who have enrolled their children into this school.

I have taken a look at the curriculum and so far, I think that they are doing pretty well.

The students are assessed and grouped into different classes based on their strengths in language - I think this results in more targeted teaching.

In addition, I must say that the English homework and assessment they give is much more holistic and higher standard than those I have seen from other schools.

I am not too sure about the other subjects, but just thought i'll share this :)

Vic
Thanks. I think the P1 enrolment issues are going to push a lot of parents into these sorts of schools.

pt-singapore

Re: Dulwich School Singapore...my experience

Post by pt-singapore » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 1:09 pm

Sooo true singapore411. I got so ticket off with the headmasters session, his presentation, responses and arrogance, that I was all set to walk out of the tour. His responses did not make much sense and looked like beauty pageant's rehearsed responses where he was trying to fit in 3-4 points in every response. Delay in my cab coming over had me take the tour anyways. I was pleasantly surprised to find the rest of the staff quite polite; facility was also impressive.

However, I am not sure with such a rude and arrogant lead for the school, how long will the rest of the staff remain polite and helpful.

btopping13

Re: Dulwich School Singapore...my experience

Post by btopping13 » Wed, 13 Jun 2018 6:40 pm

hfsjd