Singapore Expats

Expat neighbourhood lowdown..

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Lola2000

Expat neighbourhood lowdown..

Post by Lola2000 » Tue, 15 May 2018 3:38 pm

So, my husband and i will be moving to Singapore in September, and obviously we are looking for a home. I don't have all the details for your form but essentially we have up to 7000, we are late 40's early 50s, no kids at school, we have a car, and most importantly two whippets. We live in the country in the U.K. currently and have a very 'country life' liberally interspersed with partying. Not standing around with acquaintances with the odd g&t, I mean dancing till dawn in a hot sweaty club. I have read up about the various areas, but I'm looking for some local insight. Give me the low down about who lives in each area, what newspaper do they read, are the leavers or remainers ( brexit, big in the uk a time the moment), Where do the hippies live, the hipsters, And the cougars? The stuff only you locals know. Thanks

Search By

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Expat neighbourhood lowdown..

Post by The Ref » Tue, 15 May 2018 7:14 pm

Lola2000 wrote:So, my husband and i will be moving to Singapore in September, and obviously we are looking for a home. I don't have all the details for your form but essentially we have up to 7000, we are late 40's early 50s, no kids at school, we have a car, and most importantly two whippets. We live in the country in the U.K. currently and have a very 'country life' liberally interspersed with partying. Not standing around with acquaintances with the odd g&t, I mean dancing till dawn in a hot sweaty club. I have read up about the various areas, but I'm looking for some local insight. Give me the low down about who lives in each area, what newspaper do they read, are the leavers or remainers ( brexit, big in the uk a time the moment), Where do the hippies live, the hipsters, And the cougars? The stuff only you locals know. Thanks
I suggest getting a house either Telok Karu in the east or Faber in the west depending on where work is and what you like doing. Try not to over pay for a lease as that just stuffs the market. These places have "town houses" at quite reasonable prices but the yards everywhere are tiny.
Reconsider getting a car, although it may be handy with the dogs Grab/taxis are easier and no drink driving issues.

Most expat Brits are Remainers but the rest dont want to hear about it so it is not discussed much.

The best advice I can give is dont come here trying to live the same life - try something new. You will either love it or hate it, but if you try to live the same life you have now it wont work out regardless.

Finally - if I knew where the cougars are I would be there now and not typing this :lol:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 15 May 2018 7:25 pm

You might want to look at an old colonial black and white. Google SPIO and look at the their rentals. These are govt owned former British civil servant and army housing units. Most of them have yards.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Wed, 16 May 2018 1:43 pm

There are 1.4 million or so expats in Singapore, 1.1m if you exclude the maids. Largest employers are construction & marine. There's no official breakdown by nationality, but South Asian & Mainland Chinese the most common. Not many of them care about Brexit.

Hipsters - tiong bahru or kampong arab.

Who reads newspapers these days?

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 16 May 2018 2:25 pm

PNGMK wrote:You might want to look at an old colonial black and white. Google SPIO and look at the their rentals. These are govt owned former British civil servant and army housing units. Most of them have yards.
Hmmm... good suggestion. But whippets... the greenery that surrounds most of those beautiful black and whites - and the snakes and monitor lizards that live therein...

Not a great combination!
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."