Singapore Expats

Early Termination of Lease - One month penalty??

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Stephanopoulos

Early Termination of Lease - One month penalty??

Post by Stephanopoulos » Mon, 13 Mar 2017 11:08 pm

Hello everyone,

Apologies for the long post below! I've read lots of threads on here regarding early termination of tenancy agreements, but my situation seems to be different. Really appreciate any advice you can give.

Long story short: Landlord says there is a "one-month's rent penalty" for terminating our rental tenancy agreement before 12 months (period of validity). However there's no mention of this penalty whatsover in the lease. He now says he forgot to include it - but is he lying to make me peacefully leave and then he'll envoke some law that I'm not aware of, keeping my security deposit??

Story:

I signed a rental tenancy agreement to rent a room in a HDB flat for 12 months, with a minimum 6 month stay. Below are relevant clauses from the agreement regarding the monthly rental payment, security deposit, early termination the length of the validity of the contract (Clause 4 is most important in this case):
1. That the Landlord agrees to let one XXX Bedroom (hereinafter called “the premise”) and the Tenant agrees to take the premise, together with the stated furniture fixtures and other effects therein for a period of 12 months from 22 day of October 2016 to 21 day of October 2017, the Tenant paying therefore to the Landlord the sum of Singapore Dollars XXX per month during the tenancy agreed period, inclusive of the Tenants share of the utility bill incurred during this said period.

The rent is to be payable monthly in advance and clear of all deductions on the 22nd day of each calendar month.
2. The Tenant will pay to the Landlord the sum of Singapore Dollars $XXX to be held by the Landlord as a security of deposit and to also pay the Landlord the first month rent on or before the signing hereof. The security of deposit will not be considered as the last month’s rent. The security of deposit shall be refunded by the Landlord within 30 days following the tenant’s move out, less any appropriate and reasonable charges (if any) for cleaning or for damages caused by the Tenant or Tenant’s guests.
3. The security deposit shall be topped-up within 3 days to the original amount after any portion of it has been utilized during the Tenant’s stay. The security deposit will only be used to pay for repairs or replacement of items in the flat that are damaged by the Tenant.
4. The Tenant must stay for a minimum of 6 months, failing which the Tenant will have to give the Landlord rental-in-lieu equal to the duration between the last day of stay and 6 months from the start of the contract.
5. The tenancy agreement is valid for a period of 12 months. Thereafter the tenancy agreement shall be renewed based on new terms & conditions agreed between the Landlord and the Tenant. The Landlord must give the Tenant a one-month’s advance notice of intent if the Landlord wishes to terminate the tenancy and vice versa.

I informed him that I intend to terminate the contract at the 6 month mark, giving him a month's notice (actually slightly over) as the contract stipulates I should do. He came back and said that there was a "one-month penalty" for terminating the lease before its validity period of 12 months. I checked the lease and there is zero mention of this whatsover. He's now said I'm off the hook as he forgot to include it. However, I subsequently remembered that he mentioned such a penalty verbally before I signed the contract, but it does seems he never included it in writing.

Is he trying to get me to peacefully leave the premises by saying this and then refusing to return my security deposit? I understand that Singapore tenancy law is biased towards Landlords so I'm wondering if there is a "standard" one-month penalty rule for early termination that is applicable to all rental agreements and he's just saving himself trouble by not telling me/lying to me...

Or, does a "one-month penalty" clause have to be written into a tenancy agreement if it is to be enforced? Hoping this is the case of course...

Thank you very very much for any help you can give on this. :D :D

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Early Termination of Lease - One month penalty??

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 14 Mar 2017 8:23 am

the security / damages deposit is not rent. you can fight for it in the SCT if he doesn't return it. I think you've gotten off very lightly. run while you can.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 14 Mar 2017 10:39 am

Usually when you break the lease (unless you have the diplomatic clause) you are subjected to pay the remaining months of the lease. You are really lucky that the landlord wants you to just pay one month penalty.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 Mar 2017 11:58 am

Stephanopoulos wrote:Hello everyone,

Apologies for the long post below! I've read lots of threads on here regarding early termination of tenancy agreements, but my situation seems to be different. Really appreciate any advice you can give.

Long story short: Landlord says there is a "one-month's rent penalty" for terminating our rental tenancy agreement before 12 months (period of validity). However there's no mention of this penalty whatsover in the lease. He now says he forgot to include it - but is he lying to make me peacefully leave and then he'll envoke some law that I'm not aware of, keeping my security deposit??

Story:

I signed a rental tenancy agreement to rent a room in a HDB flat for 12 months, with a minimum 6 month stay. Below are relevant clauses from the agreement regarding the monthly rental payment, security deposit, early termination the length of the validity of the contract (Clause 4 is most important in this case):
1. That the Landlord agrees to let one XXX Bedroom (hereinafter called “the premise”) and the Tenant agrees to take the premise, together with the stated furniture fixtures and other effects therein for a period of 12 months from 22 day of October 2016 to 21 day of October 2017, the Tenant paying therefore to the Landlord the sum of Singapore Dollars XXX per month during the tenancy agreed period, inclusive of the Tenants share of the utility bill incurred during this said period.

The rent is to be payable monthly in advance and clear of all deductions on the 22nd day of each calendar month.
2. The Tenant will pay to the Landlord the sum of Singapore Dollars $XXX to be held by the Landlord as a security of deposit and to also pay the Landlord the first month rent on or before the signing hereof. The security of deposit will not be considered as the last month’s rent. The security of deposit shall be refunded by the Landlord within 30 days following the tenant’s move out, less any appropriate and reasonable charges (if any) for cleaning or for damages caused by the Tenant or Tenant’s guests.
3. The security deposit shall be topped-up within 3 days to the original amount after any portion of it has been utilized during the Tenant’s stay. The security deposit will only be used to pay for repairs or replacement of items in the flat that are damaged by the Tenant.
4. The Tenant must stay for a minimum of 6 months, failing which the Tenant will have to give the Landlord rental-in-lieu equal to the duration between the last day of stay and 6 months from the start of the contract.
5. The tenancy agreement is valid for a period of 12 months. Thereafter the tenancy agreement shall be renewed based on new terms & conditions agreed between the Landlord and the Tenant. The Landlord must give the Tenant a one-month’s advance notice of intent if the Landlord wishes to terminate the tenancy and vice versa.

I informed him that I intend to terminate the contract at the 6 month mark, giving him a month's notice (actually slightly over) as the contract stipulates I should do. He came back and said that there was a "one-month penalty" for terminating the lease before its validity period of 12 months. I checked the lease and there is zero mention of this whatsover. He's now said I'm off the hook as he forgot to include it. However, I subsequently remembered that he mentioned such a penalty verbally before I signed the contract, but it does seems he never included it in writing.

Is he trying to get me to peacefully leave the premises by saying this and then refusing to return my security deposit? I understand that Singapore tenancy law is biased towards Landlords so I'm wondering if there is a "standard" one-month penalty rule for early termination that is applicable to all rental agreements and he's just saving himself trouble by not telling me/lying to me...

Or, does a "one-month penalty" clause have to be written into a tenancy agreement if it is to be enforced? Hoping this is the case of course...

Thank you very very much for any help you can give on this. :D :D
Assuming you really pasted above what is relevant, then based on the clauses 4 and 6 you should pay nothing. No, there is no such a thing like one month penalty.

abhigosavi1

Post by abhigosavi1 » Sat, 21 Apr 2018 10:15 pm

Hi all,

I have issues with early termination as well. Due to some valid reason i have to leave my job and leave country. However I had signed my house agreement for 1.5 years and will complete on 6 months out of all. I have diplomatic clause for 12 months and 2 months notice.
Owner agent doesnt want to talk to us and says that we will have to pay for remaining 8 months.

Can anyone please advise how should we go about it. As we found out other tenants as replacement however Owner is not in agreement and asking us additional 8 months rent. (we are not sure if this is owner's direction or owner's agent, as owner agent doesnt pick up our call and only replies us over email.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:45 am

abhigosavi1 wrote:Hi all,

I have issues with early termination as well. Due to some valid reason i have to leave my job and leave country. However I had signed my house agreement for 1.5 years and will complete on 6 months out of all. I have diplomatic clause for 12 months and 2 months notice.
Owner agent doesnt want to talk to us and says that we will have to pay for remaining 8 months.

Can anyone please advise how should we go about it. As we found out other tenants as replacement however Owner is not in agreement and asking us additional 8 months rent. (we are not sure if this is owner's direction or owner's agent, as owner agent doesnt pick up our call and only replies us over email.
What they are trying to do here is double dip (take your money and then rent out the property). I am not exactly sure how you can fight this to be honest. I would probably just leave Singapore and forget the deposit.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!