Singapore Expats

Open Water swimming where ?

Find your sports & recreational partners & Teams here.
MarkF

Open Water swimming where ?

Post by MarkF » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 12:03 am

Hello all,

I'm an Open water swimmer, 3 times a week 1-3 km, relocating to Singapore and i am looking for a place to keep practicing, join a team or by myself.
Any recommended beaches ? clubs ? or other swimmers you can tell me about.
Much appreciated

all the best
Mark
Last edited by MarkF on Wed, 01 Mar 2017 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Open Water swimming where ?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 12:09 am

You do realize that Singapore is an island surrounded by water don't you? :-k :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 7:14 am

I think it's not that obvious. Frankly, I have no idea which place could be suitable. I've never seen anybody swimming open water in Singapore. Near the beaches (and any other places), water doesn't look nice at all. A bit further, there is typically some traffic. On top of the above, the police is on a constant look-out for illegal immigrants.
My best guess would be some parts of East Coast Park, further towards East.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 8:10 am

I would think that the North side near the old jetty at Lim Chu Kang to the east towards the old mansion there or west towards the girl guides Jalan BAhtera camp along the coast "might" be ok.

Alternatively catch a ferry out to St John's Island every weekend for a days swimming or swim the south coast of Sentosa.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 11:51 am

I do see an early morning swimmer on East Coast Park, he swims along the coast, rather than heading into the shipping lane.

The problem here is that, because of all the shipping, there is a certain oily content to the water. Not very pleasant.

Sentosa beaches have barriers which reduce the amount of debris in the water. Would be worth a try. In my experience the water there is better than East Coast Park and Changi Beach.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 01 Mar 2017 12:58 pm

From January to April, East Coast, particularly between Bedok Jetty and NSC, is a great stretch for water activities, including swimming.

During the months that follow, the prevailing wind shifts from NE to SW. The SW is more of an onshore wind and, as such, tends to blow in debris, organic and not so organic, the latter of which mostly from the islands opposite.

And yes, every now and then, one of the vessels parked along the anchorage has a little "accident".

Still, given the busy shipping lanes and dense population, most of the sea here is decent enough quality. Mind the occasional blooming event along the northeastern stretch though.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 02 Mar 2017 4:34 am

Hello, fellow open water swimmer here.

Let's say you're not looking into joining a team locally, Singapore is pretty bad when it comes to options to swim. Max Headroom is right about East Coast Park, the stretch between Bedok Jetty and NSC. In fact that's the most common stretch used by aquathlon, triathlon or swimathon events. Another stretch would be Sentosa island on Tanjong Beach side (pretty limited), and Changi Coast. Visibility, water quality and risk of accident is not great if you compare with other countries.

I always, always prefer to swim in Malaysia or Bintan, where they have better water.

For local teams to train with, join Meta Sports https://www.metasport.com/. It is a triathlon training club but it has weekly open water sessions at Tanjong Beach. I have not joined any other group.

MarkF

Post by MarkF » Sat, 04 Mar 2017 3:15 am

Thnx a lot for the answers.

judyzhou

Post by judyzhou » Tue, 10 Apr 2018 3:08 pm

east coast park. is safe to.swim.i.do.it.2 to 3 times. from marine cove to jetty opppsite neptune.court and.back.
but do stay away from. rocks or u get nasty waterflea bites.
usually.swim. 50 to100 metres.out from from.shoreline to be safe.from bugbites.
judy

ronyc123

Post by ronyc123 » Wed, 03 Jul 2019 5:30 pm

Hi,

I would like to join for Open Water Swimming and I signed for one triathlon. I live in the east side of Singapore. Access to East Coast park is easy for me.

Thanks