Singapore Expats

Legal interview practices in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Noidea

Legal interview practices in Singapore?

Post by Noidea » Tue, 10 Apr 2018 2:05 am

Hi all,

Need some help or advices from you guys. So my boss is currently expanding his company. Instead of hiring someone who have experience in HRM, he got me & another part time admin who have totally no knowledge in HRM to do the hiring & compliance process. (My boss is super stingy, not willing to fork out any extra money lol). Have some questions to ask about. Would really appreciate if anyone can help. Thank you!

1) Is it illegal to ask for payslip before interview? or before offering the candidates the job offer.

2) Is it illegal to ask for IC/passport?

3) Is it illegal for us to disclose our company documents to the candidates before the interview?

4) Can we do reference checks on them before interview / offering the job?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Legal interview practices in Singapore?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 10 Apr 2018 8:25 am

Noidea wrote:Hi all,

Need some help or advices from you guys. So my boss is currently expanding his company. Instead of hiring someone who have experience in HRM, he got me & another part time admin who have totally no knowledge in HRM to do the hiring & compliance process. (My boss is super stingy, not willing to fork out any extra money lol). Have some questions to ask about. Would really appreciate if anyone can help. Thank you!

1) Is it illegal to ask for payslip before interview? or before offering the candidates the job offer.

2) Is it illegal to ask for IC/passport?

3) Is it illegal for us to disclose our company documents to the candidates before the interview?

4) Can we do reference checks on them before interview / offering the job?

No
No
What docs? Do you have an NDA in place with the candidate? If you're talking about a contract or general company info no problem.
Yes
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!