Singapore Expats

PR Through Student Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
confusedandlost

PR Through Student Application

Post by confusedandlost » Sun, 08 Apr 2018 11:35 am

Good Day to everyone.
I need advice,considering the following situation I am in.
I am 25 this year and have been living in Singapore since I was 11, took PSLE, O Level , Diploma, all in local institutions .
I had always been paying the "foreigner school fees" , until I enrolled to Polytechnic whereby I agreed to the Tuition Grant.
So basically this "Tuition Grant" reduced my Poly fees but I have to work in Singapore for 3 years upon graduation to contribute back to the Singapore's economic.

I deffered to serve the "Tuition Grant" because I want to further my studies in Private University.
ICA launched the scheme whereby now you can apply PR as Student.

My concern is that, I am still an undergraduate and will graduate by 2019.

If lets say my PR application is successful ,would I be expected to serve NS? Considering the following points
1) I will have a degree cert
2) I have to serve my "tuition grant" bond upon my UNI graduation
3) I will be 26 by the time i graduate( I know the age may not be relevant due to the fact that there are overage male serving NS, but maybe its a considering factor)

Any words of advice will be helpful :). Thank You

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR Through Student Application

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 08 Apr 2018 8:49 pm

Yep. Think about it. You WILL have to do NS. It's part of the package of them offering it to you while in Uni. If you graduate, you will have to find a job (not easy for freshers who are foreigners as you have no experience (they failed to tell you that, or you just glossed over that during the snow job presented by ICA). By allowing you to gain PR, you will be blessed with an opportunity of actually finding a job (most companies cannot get an FT, with no experience, an EP or even an S pass) There are been many on here who have accepted PR in the past and still couldn't find a job and eventually bailed out Singapore. In the process they have defaulted on their tuition grants and also defaulted on their inherited PR obligation, thereby making sure they will never be allowed to come back to SG.

If you think about it, it makes good sense as they get a higher educated person in the military which would open further doors not open to 18 year olds. My son was one such who had a military deferment until he graduated from Nafa. He didn't enter NS until he was 22 and he was older than his drill sergeants while doing his BMT.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

confusedandlost

Post by confusedandlost » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 8:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep. Think about it. You WILL have to do NS. It's part of the package of them offering it to you while in Uni. If you graduate, you will have to find a job (not easy for freshers who are foreigners as you have no experience (they failed to tell you that, or you just glossed over that during the snow job presented by ICA). By allowing you to gain PR, you will be blessed with an opportunity of actually finding a job (most companies cannot get an FT, with no experience, an EP or even an S pass) There are been many on here who have accepted PR in the past and still couldn't find a job and eventually bailed out Singapore. In the process they have defaulted on their tuition grants and also defaulted on their inherited PR obligation, thereby making sure they will never be allowed to come back to SG.

If you think about it, it makes good sense as they get a higher educated person in the military which would open further doors not open to 18 year olds. My son was one such who had a military deferment until he graduated from Nafa. He didn't enter NS until he was 22 and he was older than his drill sergeants while doing his BMT.
Hi,Thanks for the reply.
I do not mind to serve NS as I have spent my 14 years here.
Another question is that.
If my application is successful before I graduate, am i expected to drop out of uni to serve NS?
Bcos from what I am aware, you could not deffer NS beyond Diploma

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 10:18 am

Yes, you are expected to defer your course for NS. Most uni should cooperate (in Singapore). If you're like the law student from the other post and you have only a year left and cannot defer then weigh up the costs of being AWOL for a year (brig time, fine) vs not finishing.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!