Singapore Expats Forum

Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

makana
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 16 Oct 2013

Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Postby makana » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:42 pm

Hi,
My Mom is a retired Maths professor from India and she is 63. She have been teaching in a college for over 30 years and retired for over 5 years now. Is there a possibility that she can a teaching job in Singapore?

Thanks

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5668
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:51 pm

Yes. The only issue with the schools own specific age requirements. Those vary by school.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 1:28 pm

I think only if there is a shortage of teachers in Singapore. Otherwise there may be issues with her getting a work visa (age / experience vs. salary).

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 2:42 pm

AngMoG wrote:I think only if there is a shortage of teachers in Singapore. Otherwise there may be issues with her getting a work visa (age / experience vs. salary).


and recently, some natives have voiced concern about 60 Plus year old foreigners getting jobs .. the kind of jobs that should go to locals .. !!!

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5668
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re:

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 03 Apr 2018 5:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:
AngMoG wrote:I think only if there is a shortage of teachers in Singapore. Otherwise there may be issues with her getting a work visa (age / experience vs. salary).


and recently, some natives have voiced concern about 60 Plus year old foreigners getting jobs .. the kind of jobs that should go to locals .. !!!


Revisiting this. Is there an upper age limit on EP's? Something said to be today makes me think there maybe an undisclosed limit (and I'm guessing 62.5).
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35101
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Apr 2018 12:31 am

Definitely are but I think somehow this is also governed by Nationality and Industry and management level. I know I've lost a few Malaysian workers when they hit 60, but I also know a fair number of Engineering Project Managers from western countries who were in the 70's at still manage to get Passes.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5668
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 05 Apr 2018 6:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Definitely are but I think somehow this is also governed by Nationality and Industry and management level. I know I've lost a few Malaysian workers when they hit 60, but I also know a fair number of Engineering Project Managers from western countries who were in the 70's at still manage to get Passes.



Mmm - this is probably true. I've seen some 60+ American folk jump ship out of International School positions (directors, business managers) and while it hasn't been said that they are leaving because of EP issues I was wondering if they knew something I didn't.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1356
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Postby bgd » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 10:08 am

PNGMK wrote:Mmm - this is probably true. I've seen some 60+ American folk jump ship out of International School positions (directors, business managers) and while it hasn't been said that they are leaving because of EP issues I was wondering if they knew something I didn't.


I've seen the same in a tutorial centre, come renewal time all the 60+ didn't get renewed, everyone else did. They were on SPasses and it wasn't a quota issue.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9313
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Postby x9200 » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 10:52 am

bgd wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Mmm - this is probably true. I've seen some 60+ American folk jump ship out of International School positions (directors, business managers) and while it hasn't been said that they are leaving because of EP issues I was wondering if they knew something I didn't.


I've seen the same in a tutorial centre, come renewal time all the 60+ didn't get renewed, everyone else did. They were on SPasses and it wasn't a quota issue.

Teachers/tutors or managerial staff?

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1356
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Postby bgd » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 1:13 pm

Teachers / tutors in my case.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35101
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 5:47 pm

If a pass isn't renewed due to age it will tell you in the rejection. It's one of the few times you will actually be given the reason without having to try to guess.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1356
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Re: Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Postby bgd » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 6:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If a pass isn't renewed due to age it will tell you in the rejection. It's one of the few times you will actually be given the reason without having to try to guess.


Interesting. I have no idea whether that was stated.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests