Singapore Expats

Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
makana

Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Post by makana » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:42 pm

Hi,
My Mom is a retired Maths professor from India and she is 63. She have been teaching in a college for over 30 years and retired for over 5 years now. Is there a possibility that she can a teaching job in Singapore?

Thanks

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:51 pm

Yes. The only issue with the schools own specific age requirements. Those vary by school.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 1:28 pm

I think only if there is a shortage of teachers in Singapore. Otherwise there may be issues with her getting a work visa (age / experience vs. salary).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 2:42 pm

AngMoG wrote:I think only if there is a shortage of teachers in Singapore. Otherwise there may be issues with her getting a work visa (age / experience vs. salary).
and recently, some natives have voiced concern about 60 Plus year old foreigners getting jobs .. the kind of jobs that should go to locals .. !!!

PNGMK

Re:

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 03 Apr 2018 5:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:
AngMoG wrote:I think only if there is a shortage of teachers in Singapore. Otherwise there may be issues with her getting a work visa (age / experience vs. salary).
and recently, some natives have voiced concern about 60 Plus year old foreigners getting jobs .. the kind of jobs that should go to locals .. !!!
Revisiting this. Is there an upper age limit on EP's? Something said to be today makes me think there maybe an undisclosed limit (and I'm guessing 62.5).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Age limit for getting EP/SPass?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Apr 2018 12:31 am

Definitely are but I think somehow this is also governed by Nationality and Industry and management level. I know I've lost a few Malaysian workers when they hit 60, but I also know a fair number of Engineering Project Managers from western countries who were in the 70's at still manage to get Passes.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 Apr 2018 6:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Definitely are but I think somehow this is also governed by Nationality and Industry and management level. I know I've lost a few Malaysian workers when they hit 60, but I also know a fair number of Engineering Project Managers from western countries who were in the 70's at still manage to get Passes.

Mmm - this is probably true. I've seen some 60+ American folk jump ship out of International School positions (directors, business managers) and while it hasn't been said that they are leaving because of EP issues I was wondering if they knew something I didn't.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 10:08 am

PNGMK wrote: Mmm - this is probably true. I've seen some 60+ American folk jump ship out of International School positions (directors, business managers) and while it hasn't been said that they are leaving because of EP issues I was wondering if they knew something I didn't.
I've seen the same in a tutorial centre, come renewal time all the 60+ didn't get renewed, everyone else did. They were on SPasses and it wasn't a quota issue.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 10:52 am

bgd wrote:
PNGMK wrote: Mmm - this is probably true. I've seen some 60+ American folk jump ship out of International School positions (directors, business managers) and while it hasn't been said that they are leaving because of EP issues I was wondering if they knew something I didn't.
I've seen the same in a tutorial centre, come renewal time all the 60+ didn't get renewed, everyone else did. They were on SPasses and it wasn't a quota issue.
Teachers/tutors or managerial staff?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 1:13 pm

Teachers / tutors in my case.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 5:47 pm

If a pass isn't renewed due to age it will tell you in the rejection. It's one of the few times you will actually be given the reason without having to try to guess.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 09 Apr 2018 6:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If a pass isn't renewed due to age it will tell you in the rejection. It's one of the few times you will actually be given the reason without having to try to guess.
Interesting. I have no idea whether that was stated.