Singapore Expats

is LTSVP for me?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

is LTSVP for me?

Post by JWNYsg » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 12:46 pm

Dear all,

I need some advice please

I am a Singapore Citizen. I am currently residing and working overseas.

I got married legally after I had received the Letter of LTVP Eligibility (LLE) from ICA after my formal Pre-Marriage LTVP Assessment (PMLA) application

My wife is currently not working, also she does not have good formal education (not even high school)

I am fortunate to be earning an average salary of above SGD100K per annum to support us both, but i currently do not pay any income tax to IRAS. Before i left Singapore, I was paying taxes and earned a salary above SGD10K a month. (not self employed, I am a working slave to an organisation)

Currently i have no plans to return to Singapore on a full time basis.

EDIT - not sure if this information is useful but i do not have any asset in Singapore (never bought a Public HDB or private housing before)

- Would it be feasible for me to apply the LTSVP on behalf of my wife? Since I already have the LLE which is valid for a year?

Usually if we go back to Singapore, I do not stay more than a few days thus a tourist visa would suffice for my wife.

Would appreciate any suggestions or advice. My sincerest apologies if this had been asked before, but i couldn't find anything on the search. Thank you

Best,

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: is LTSVP for me?

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 2:21 pm

JWNYsg wrote:Dear all,

I need some advice please

I am a Singapore Citizen. I am currently residing and working overseas.

I got married legally after I had received the Letter of LTVP Eligibility (LLE) from ICA after my formal Pre-Marriage LTVP Assessment (PMLA) application

My wife is currently not working, also she does not have good formal education (not even high school)

I am fortunate to be earning an average salary of above SGD100K per annum to support us both, but i currently do not pay any income tax to IRAS. Before i left Singapore, I was paying taxes and earned a salary above SGD10K a month. (not self employed, I am a working slave to an organisation)

Currently i have no plans to return to Singapore on a full time basis.

EDIT - not sure if this information is useful but i do not have any asset in Singapore (never bought a Public HDB or private housing before)

- Would it be feasible for me to apply the LTSVP on behalf of my wife? Since I already have the LLE which is valid for a year?

Usually if we go back to Singapore, I do not stay more than a few days thus a tourist visa would suffice for my wife.

Would appreciate any suggestions or advice. My sincerest apologies if this had been asked before, but i couldn't find anything on the search. Thank you

Best,
Where is your wife from? Why do you need a LTSVP for her if you both have no intention of staying here for long?

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 2:35 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Where is your wife from? Why do you need a LTSVP for her if you both have no intention of staying here for long?
Hi singaporeflyer,

thank you for your kind reply.

Actually I am also confused as you are on the process. Just to clarify the background.

I am based in Thailand with my wife, who is a Thai citizen. We have known each other for about 10 years.

Recently we decided to either formally register our marriage in Singapore or Thailand, but chose Thailand due to the convenience of not flying back to Singapore just to obtain a certificate.

And then i read on the ICA website, the PMAL requirement. Thus I applied for it, because non-PMAL couples may be heavily scrutinized if they apply LTVP eventually (at least this was the vibe i got when they said a 6 month wait period). In theory, i also did not want to go through this PMAL but it seemed to me it was necessary

After the approval of the PMAL, i received the LLE which has a 1 year validity informing I could apply for the LTVP.

So that is where the confusion kicked in for me, whether i need the LTVP or not? Because the PMAL is recommended for couples before they register their marriage.

It seems for my scenario, applying directly for Permanent Residence makes more logical sense.

I do intend to come back to Singapore at some point, all my family and friends are there. Currently in Thailand purely for employment.

Appreciate any further advice you may offer. Thank you

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 2:39 pm

JWNYsg wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
Hi singaporeflyer,

thank you for your kind reply.

Actually I am also confused as you are on the process. Just to clarify the background.

I am based in Thailand with my wife, who is a Thai citizen. We have known each other for about 10 years.

Recently we decided to either formally register our marriage in Singapore or Thailand, but chose Thailand due to the convenience of not flying back to Singapore just to obtain a certificate.

And then i read on the ICA website, the PMAL requirement. Thus I applied for it, because non-PMAL couples may be heavily scrutinized if they apply LTVP eventually (at least this was the vibe i got when they said a 6 month wait period). In theory, i also did not want to go through this PMAL but it seemed to me it was necessary

After the approval of the PMAL, i received the LLE which has a 1 year validity informing I could apply for the LTVP.

So that is where the confusion kicked in for me, whether i need the LTVP or not? Because the PMAL is recommended for couples before they register their marriage.

It seems for my scenario, applying directly for Permanent Residence makes more logical sense.

I do intend to come back to Singapore at some point, all my family and friends are there. Currently in Thailand purely for employment.

Appreciate any further advice you may offer. Thank you
The normal suggested route is LTVP -> 2-3 years/ with a kid -> Then apply for PR.

If you apply for PR for her without being on LTVP for sometime/immediately after your marriage, the chances of her getting PR is very slim

To sponsor her for PR, you must be working in SG and prove that you are financially stable.

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 2:44 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
The normal suggested route is LTVP -> 2-3 years/ with a kid -> Then apply for PR.

If you apply for PR for her without being on LTVP for sometime/immediately after your marriage, the chances of her getting PR is very slim

To sponsor her for PR, you must be working in SG and prove that you are financially stable.
I see, thank you for your insight.

I will try the PR route then. Seems for my case specifically, the LTVP would not be beneficial.

If not, i guess it has to be the time when I am back home and employed to apply for her PR and also the LTVP.

Got a bit jumpy because i saw the LLE validity of being a year only. Thank you again

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 8:52 pm

SVP - LTVP - PR is the order.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JWNYsg
Regular
Regular

Post by JWNYsg » Thu, 05 Apr 2018 9:49 am

PNGMK wrote:SVP - LTVP - PR is the order.
Thank you, i will further explore this.

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”