Singapore Expats

tourist visa limitations and ltvp application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
findtheriver

tourist visa limitations and ltvp application

Post by findtheriver » Tue, 03 Apr 2018 6:26 pm

Hi, Apologies if this has been answered before but I've not seen anything addressing it from searching...

I'm a US citizen. My partner is here on EP. We're in the process of applying for LTVP for me-- forms submitted, waiting to hear back. In the meantime I'm in Singapore on a regular tourist pass (90 days with plenty of time left as of now).
I need to plan some travel soon. But to avoid raising any red flags that could potentially cause problems with either my pending LTVP application or further entry on "tourist" basis :

- Should I minimize traveling outside SG ? Does it look bad considering that I have already been in and out of SG approx. 6 times in the past year?

- OR should I travel outside more, so that I am more like a "normal" tourist without long stays?

- If I have to travel, should I say anything specific to the immigration officer at Changi when I come back in? I've heard that, understandably, the more frequently you enter, the more likely they are to want to know why.
I have no idea whether they'd have access to MOM info..... but might it hurt the chances of getting a regular tourist pass OR the LTVP if I say I'm relocating to SG before its actually done? Or does it appear wrong if I keep it simple and say "visiting", but they can see that there's a residence application pending under my name?

It's possible I'm overthinking this stuff, but for obvious reasons I want to be careful & do it right!

Thanks so much! Any opinions appreciated. :-k

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: tourist visa limitations and ltvp application

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 03 Apr 2018 6:46 pm

You say, "My partner is here on EP." A couple of questions: Are you common law married? Is common law marriage recognized in the state/country in which you allege that you are common law married? If in the US, will the US Embassy/Consulate issue a letter to the effect that you are married? And, not that I am nosy... are we dealing with a same sex marriage here?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 03 Apr 2018 6:54 pm

Honestly I doubt it matters.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

findtheriver

Post by findtheriver » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 10:45 am

To be clear, the LTVP application is already submitted by EP company with all the required documentation. Whether it will be approved or not, I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

My questions are more to the point that I've heard stories on these boards and elsewhere of people being denied re-entry or further visas because they raised red flags by travelling in and out.
I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my status..... Including if the LTVP doesnt work out and I have to be on tourist visas for longer while we figure things out.

Is this something where i can predict some level of privilege as an ang moh and not worry too much (i am female if that matters)? And/or just not do anything that looks too much like an obvious visa run?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 11:40 am

findtheriver wrote:To be clear, the LTVP application is already submitted by EP company with all the required documentation. Whether it will be approved or not, I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

My questions are more to the point that I've heard stories on these boards and elsewhere of people being denied re-entry or further visas because they raised red flags by travelling in and out.
I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my status..... Including if the LTVP doesnt work out and I have to be on tourist visas for longer while we figure things out.

Is this something where i can predict some level of privilege as an ang moh and not worry too much (i am female if that matters)? And/or just not do anything that looks too much like an obvious visa run?
In my experience (wife is an American citizen and had a slightly similar situation) you are good for 2 border type visa runs (i.e. 90 x 3 - 180 days give or take a week). If you can't raise an LTVP in that time well... I'd add that you're probably good for many more actual trips (6 or more) that aren't turn around border runs.

findtheriver

Post by findtheriver » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 1:16 pm

PNGMK wrote: In my experience (wife is an American citizen and had a slightly similar situation) you are good for 2 border type visa runs (i.e. 90 x 3 - 180 days give or take a week). If you can't raise an LTVP in that time well... I'd add that you're probably good for many more actual trips (6 or more) that aren't turn around border runs.
Thank you!
To be extra clear, what do you think they look at as turn around border runs? Like, I guess that 1 day in JB on the 89th day doesnt look good..... but what about, eg. 4 days in Bali with a couple weeks left on the tourist pass? Or is that a grey area ? (or am i just being paranoid :o )

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 1:38 pm

findtheriver wrote:
PNGMK wrote: In my experience (wife is an American citizen and had a slightly similar situation) you are good for 2 border type visa runs (i.e. 90 x 3 - 180 days give or take a week). If you can't raise an LTVP in that time well... I'd add that you're probably good for many more actual trips (6 or more) that aren't turn around border runs.
Thank you!
To be extra clear, what do you think they look at as turn around border runs? Like, I guess that 1 day in JB on the 89th day doesnt look good..... but what about, eg. 4 days in Bali with a couple weeks left on the tourist pass? Or is that a grey area ? (or am i just being paranoid :o )
You are worrying too much.

findtheriver

Post by findtheriver » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 1:54 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
You are worrying too much.
Ok good to know, ha!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 8:51 pm

findtheriver wrote:
Thank you!
They are definitely watching JB turn arounds. Make sure you carry a return ticket (to an onward destination when you re-enter Singapore) and have a contingency plan in place. I don't expect you'll be turned back but you might given a shorter SVP. Also don't forget you can extend SVP online - you should do that in preference to JB runs.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 04 Apr 2018 9:57 pm

I am an American and when I first arrived, and before I got my EP, I traveled to Batam for golf each weekend. Every time I came back I got another 90 day stamp.

I'd go to Batam or Bintan for the weekend... vacation spots, 30 to 45 minutes on a fast boat. Won't be any question of getting your additional 90 days.

And... I really would check into the details of your LTVP application... applying doesn't mean you will get it, and there are plenty of threads on this board by people who have been unable to get an LTVP for a "partner".