Singapore Expats

Popular General/Homeware etc... Stores?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Adeena

Popular General/Homeware etc... Stores?

Post by Adeena » Wed, 28 Mar 2018 8:31 am

Hi all! :)

My husband and I are relocating from New Zealand to Singapore later this year, and I've been able to find out lots of information from various forums. Now i'm wondering if in Singapore there are large general stores where you can buy most things? similar to those here in New Zealand like The Warehouse, K-mart, Briscoes etc (Google them if you are not sure what I mean).

Also, while i'm here, are Brita Maxtra water filters available? As we we're going to bring our Brita jug but if those are not available then there's no point!

Thank you :)
Adeena :)

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Re: Popular General/Homeware etc... Stores?

Post by DrScrumMaster » Wed, 28 Mar 2018 10:25 pm

DIY is not something that Singaporeans do here. There are HomeFix and SelfFix outlets, but they have limited range. (And it's not just those kinds of shops that have a limited range of goods on offer.)

For Brita Maxtra I now buy online from Qoo10.

In fact, for anything other than groceries I tend to find that online is my preferred choice for shopping.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Thu, 29 Mar 2018 12:23 am

Adeena wrote:Hi all! :)

My husband and I are relocating from New Zealand to Singapore later this year, and I've been able to find out lots of information from various forums. Now i'm wondering if in Singapore there are large general stores where you can buy most things? similar to those here in New Zealand like The Warehouse, K-mart, Briscoes etc (Google them if you are not sure what I mean).

Also, while i'm here, are Brita Maxtra water filters available? As we we're going to bring our Brita jug but if those are not available then there's no point!

Thank you :)
There are no warehouse style with FairPrice Extra and the largest Giant stores being the closest, but you can still find what you want in those stores. Note when I go home I always stop in at Bunnings and k-Mart/Big W, but I know where to get everything her so I dont buy much anymore.

Dont stress too much about what to bring, anything can be bought online now. Water filters are expensive here compared to Malaysia so you may be able to get a better value by popping across the boarder, especially if you have access to a car.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sat, 31 Mar 2018 10:27 am

You can buy everything from IKEA too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk