Singapore Expats

Moving from Canada to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
john378

Post by john378 » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 4:09 pm

Hi, I am currently a Canadian citizen (also a resident/national of another South Asian country, where I am currently living), who is looking to move to Singapore.

I am mid-20s with education and experience the banking industry in Canada, and looking to find a similar position in Singapore, which seems to have lots of banking jobs at this time.

My concerns are, how hard is it for someone with my background to find a job (as most applicants are from Singapore, and I would need a work visa (which I have read is called "EP") in Singapore? I have applied to various jobs (only for 1 week now), and not heard back from any.

Also, how hard is it to make new friends when arriving in the country? I have an older relative who has been living in Singapore, however I am wondering how hard it would be to make friends in this age group as an expat.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Moving from Canada to Singapore

Post by bgd » Tue, 06 Mar 2018 9:55 am

It's tough, depends on your work experience, seniority and how in demand your skill set is. Plenty of locals can do bank jobs and they take priority.

And past experience shows that you have more success if you are actually in Sg.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 06 Mar 2018 10:29 am

You're going to need to be transferred to Singapore by your company if you expect to work here.

If you want some sense of how younger expats such as yourself have ended up in Singapore, drop over to the 20's club (viewforum.php?f=68), and ask a question or two as to how they ended up in Singapore. I'll bet 90 percent or more will tell you they transferred in.

The facts (one already pointed out by bgd):

a) Locals need jobs
b) At your age and experience level, you've got nothing to make you exceptional
c) At your age and experience level, you're pay rate won't be high enough to convince MoM that you're better qualified than a local
d) MNC's, for the most part, can transfer in whomever they want, young or old, because they hire locals. But, if they try to hire you on a local package, the story is different... why you over a local... they won't even try.

john378

Post by john378 » Tue, 06 Mar 2018 11:47 am

Strong Eagle wrote:You're going to need to be transferred to Singapore by your company if you expect to work here.

If you want some sense of how younger expats such as yourself have ended up in Singapore, drop over to the 20's club (viewforum.php?f=68), and ask a question or two as to how they ended up in Singapore. I'll bet 90 percent or more will tell you they transferred in.

a) Locals need jobs
c) At your age and experience level, you're pay rate won't be high enough to convince MoM that you're better qualified than a local
d) MNC's, for the most part, can transfer in whomever they want, young or old, because they hire locals. But, if they try to hire you on a local package, the story is different... why you over a local... they won't even try.
My company does not have an office in Singapore, and I am looking to start a new job (have not worked in 3 weeks).

I was reading that Singapore is one of the easiest places to find a job as an international applicant. So far I have applied to about 80-100 jobs at international financial companies in Singapore (with a Canadian address and citzenship mentioned), however have not heard back yet.

I also have a relative there who I can live with, however the visit visa is only 30 days (and can only be extended by 60 days further), but not sure if this would help (even if I use their Singapore address on my resume).

If it really is that hard to get in, I will have to consider other countries or move back to Canada as a last option, but want to try all possible options to get in.

john378

Post by john378 » Fri, 30 Mar 2018 2:19 pm

bgd wrote:It's tough, depends on your work experience, seniority and how in demand your skill set is. Plenty of locals can do bank jobs and they take priority.

And past experience shows that you have more success if you are actually in Sg.
Have continued to apply for all of March, and have not heard back yet.

I am planning on going to Singapore on a visit visa this summer (living with my uncle), as I have also read that it is easier to get an offer while being there.

Are there any particular ways to stand out by simply being there?

My skill set and experience is a very reasonable fit for several jobs (new jobs are being posted every day as well), so I feel it can work for me as it has for others.

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sat, 31 Mar 2018 10:20 am

What exactly is your experience in financial or banking industry?

I am also working in Banking industry. I can share with you at your level it is extremely difficult to get a job here unless you are transferred in by your company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcheng74
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bcheng74 » Sat, 31 Mar 2018 10:24 am

john378 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:You're going to need to be transferred to Singapore by your company if you expect to work here.

a) Locals need jobs
My company does not have an office in Singapore, and I am looking to start a new job (have not worked in 3 weeks).

I was reading that Singapore is one of the easiest places to find a job as an international applicant. So far I have applied to about 80-100 jobs at international financial companies in Singapore (with a Canadian address and citzenship mentioned), however have not heard back yet.

I also have a relative there who I can live with, however the visit visa is only 30 days (and can only be extended by 60 days further), but not sure if this would help (even if I use their Singapore address on my resume).

If it really is that hard to get in, I will have to consider other countries or move back to Canada as a last option, but want to try all possible options to get in.
Canadian citizenship and having a relative here are NOT advantage at all. Don’t give yourself false hope. Your experience, skill set and how you will benefit Singapore are MORE important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk