Singapore Expats

Getting scammed

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Sachaluuk

Getting scammed

Post by Sachaluuk » Wed, 14 Mar 2018 2:23 pm

I have some websites in the US for selling products. About two months ago, I started getting a big volume of fraudulent orders. It was a bit bizarre, as there was no subterfuge about the fake details. A made up name, and address. They used a proxy, but the names they used were Indonesian/Malay sounding. Email address with "malas" as part of the name, or "nasi" or other words that I take to be Bahasa Indonesian.

It didn't fit the normal scammers I've seen. It didn't seem like they were testing credit cards, either.

I had between 1-10 of these per day. It got really frustrating. Nothing ever got shipped to them. People would call complaining that I had charged their credit card. I would void the charges as soon as I saw the order. Frustrating.

Eventually I switched to another provider who had a decent security module. I did this a few weeks ago. I thought they had given up, but today they tried a whole bunch of orders. Every other time, they used proxies, but on one order today it showed it originated in Surabaya mobile phone network.

Does anyone have info on these type of hackers? I know so many companies won't sell stuff to Indonesia, or even accept an order to the US, if your IP is in Indonesia. Pretty sad to have that kind of reputation. Nigeria of SE Asia?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Getting scammed

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 1:17 am

Most likely you are just one more unwitting victim. You have to be aware of the background of the trade in fraudulent and stolen credit cards. When a batch of credit card numbers is stolen, they end up on dark websites for sale. The cost for a list of the cards depends upon how fresh the list is, and how complete all the necessary information is to actually use the card.

Thieves purchase lists of these cards, then they start trying to use them... as many as they can, in as many places as they can until the card is no longer good.

The thieves will buy anything with potential resale value, even if it is only 20 cents on the dollar. They don't need to get very many sales and then resales to cover the cost of the list they bought... everything after that is pure profit.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Getting scammed

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:57 am

Strong Eagle wrote:Most likely you are just one more unwitting victim. You have to be aware of the background of the trade in fraudulent and stolen credit cards. When a batch of credit card numbers is stolen, they end up on dark websites for sale. The cost for a list of the cards depends upon how fresh the list is, and how complete all the necessary information is to actually use the card.

Thieves purchase lists of these cards, then they start trying to use them... as many as they can, in as many places as they can until the card is no longer good.

The thieves will buy anything with potential resale value, even if it is only 20 cents on the dollar. They don't need to get very many sales and then resales to cover the cost of the list they bought... everything after that is pure profit.
Agreed but I would add that the better thieves use automated tools to quickly buy with the card numbers so they can get authorized purchases in before fraud detection kicks in. Hence the dictionary sourced names.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!