Singapore Expats Forum

Car Rental Agreement

Discuss about car leasing and rental in Singapore.
ecriyas4u

Car Rental Agreement

Postby ecriyas4u » Wed, 28 Feb 2018 5:41 pm

Hi All,

I have rented a car last month for 4 days to help my friend's wedding. On the 4 th day, the day after his wedding, he drove the car and on the way the car break down with engine default. He then called the car company and informed. Later they claim that I need to pay 6000$ because he is an unauthorised driver ( he has a valid singapore driving license ) as he didn't sign the rental agreement and the agreement states that any unuathorised person drive the car, fine is 6000$. They already deducted my deposit. Apart from that they are asking 6k more..

Is it legal for them to claim 6k$ for that contract terms in the second page, which I didn't even read carefully while signing the contract.

MikeJones
Regular
Regular

Re: Car Rental Agreement

Postby MikeJones » Wed, 28 Feb 2018 6:21 pm

Seriously? You didn't read the contract but signed it anyway? You let someone else drive the car who is not party to the rental agreement and now you want to know if their terms apply? Of course they do. Sorry but you're going to have to pay up.

Every rental car I've ever rented has clauses about unauthorized drivers, if you want someone else to be able to drive the car they need to be added as an authorized driver when renting the vehicle in the first place, this isn't hard they just need to be there and show their drivers license to get added.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 8:53 am

I agree with Mike. The one thing I'd add is that renting from the smaller rental car companies here is not a good idea unless you have a recommendation from several people. They are cheap for a a reason. I'd go for one of the big four unless as I said you really know the smaller one we'll.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 11:10 am

$6,000 is a lot for an unauthorized driver. You signed it, you are responsible for it, but you might do some research to see if you would be better off not paying it and letting them take you to court. It really depends on how that has worked out historically.