Singapore Expats

Need advice, landlady is ignorance trying to be funny

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
szszz

Need advice, landlady is ignorance trying to be funny

Post by szszz » Sun, 25 Feb 2018 9:03 pm

Hi all,
Need abit of advice here, background of the story:

I have rented a partitioned room. The contract is very simple on a white piece of paper and the content is verbally call out by landlady in chinese (She's from China and can't speak English) and my gf writes according to what she says, and of course this contract is signed and acknowledge by me, my gf and the landlady. As per contract, we are renting from November 2017 up to March 2018 unless renewal.
We had decided to move out to a bigger rooms on end of March, we did a prior notice to landlady few days ago, and now she claims after she dug out the contract after months, she realized that the date of contract is wrong. She wanted to lease until March 2019 but not 2018 and she insisted that we "breach" the contract and we "intended" to write the date wrongly. We were like wtf. I told her we were upon agreement signed and acknowledged the contract and why the heck for her trying to be funny. I keep on emphasizing we will follow according to the contract and move when the dates come and collect back our deposit. But she refused to take in and continuing blaming and mocking us for says the contract is written by my gf and "purposely" write the date wrongly, she do not want to return us the deposit.
Any advice?

Note:
1) This is not under agent due to the urgency of renting a unit on the period of time
2) The contract are fully in chinese on a white piece of paper and I'm aware that this might not be a legal binded document
3) I wanted not to pay her the last month deposit and "stick my ass" not to offset the deposit until the contract end date, but I know that if I do so, I myself will be breaching the contract. (Even though she trying to be funny, I'm unsure if this is a right thing to do)
4) She might not send for contract stamping, as I requested her to show me the certificate, and she told me after the registration and stamping she did not receive any certificate, nothing was received.
5) I have contacted IRAS, pending for their mail respond

Search By

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Need advice, landlady is ignorance trying to be funny

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 6:40 am

If it wasn't stamped it's effectively unenforceable. Just come to an agreement with her on your last day and get out.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

szszz

Post by szszz » Wed, 28 Feb 2018 10:41 pm

Latest updates, landlady refuse to come to a agreement for us to leave without paying the last month rental...Sigh... Can't show us the stamp duty certificate and don't want us to use deposit to offset the rental.... What should I Do...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 01 Mar 2018 9:47 am

szszz wrote:Latest updates, landlady refuse to come to a agreement for us to leave without paying the last month rental...Sigh... Can't show us the stamp duty certificate and don't want us to use deposit to offset the rental.... What should I Do...
Move out. The risk is she can call the police and they will evict you if you're not listed occupiers (which you aren't).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!