Singapore Expats

SC for young adult - 2017

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dc374

SC for young adult - 2017

Post by dc374 » Tue, 13 Feb 2018 10:04 pm

I've benefited from the diversity of SC-related advice on this forum as I was navigating this journey myself some time ago, and there doesn't seem to be many posts anywhere on the internet about people in my situation, so thought I'd share a datapoint -

The usual rundown:
Race: Chinese.
On my 4th REP. DP before that.
Educated in SG all the way since primary school. Graduated from an 'elite' JC if that matters. Currently working towards a bachelor's degree (in CS, if that's of any relevance)
NOA: I make nowhere near enough to file taxes.

So I traded my blue IC for a green one three years back and 2 years of blood, sweat and tears later, got my blue IC back.. and after many days of camping in front of the eAppointment system, finally filed for citizenship in Jul '17.

Received my AIP last week so that makes it 7 months?

On the off-chance that I've misled anyone, the 'green IC' I'm referring to above is none other than the 11B.. yes, I served NS. On a more serious note, in the event that there are any PR NSFs who are thinking of converting reading this...(google definitely brought me to this forum, lol):

1. If you've heard through the grapevine that the SAF will take care of everything for you, that's no longer the case.
2. You have to complete your 2-year obligation, in other words, fully ORDed with a Cert of Service. Disruption doesn't count (at least that was what I was told)
3. All applications, NS notwithstanding, must now be filed under the Economic Scheme, and to borrow some words from the officer who served me, "subject to assessment based on your own merits". Note that this needs you to be 21, at which point you can file via eSC or via the paper form - no diff.
4. If you'll be under 21 upon ORD, don't despair - email ICA, they'll tell you what to do.
EDIT: 5. Given how the application queues fluctuate nowadays, do note that while you need to have ORDed at the point of lodgement (ie. appointment day), there's nothing stopping you from making the booking earlier. *hint*

Hope someone finds this useful :) cheers.
Last edited by dc374 on Fri, 16 Feb 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: SC for young adult - 2017

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Feb 2018 12:02 am

dc374,

Thanks for the thumbs up and bigger thanks for contributing back to this forum. It's people like you who actually make this forum work, by contributing or giving back to the community in additional data for us to work with to help the next person. We pay if forward whenever we can and it all comes back to us later in life. Again, Thanks and Congrats on getting the SC IPA. AND doing your NS (My son has also done his as well).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dc374

Post by dc374 » Fri, 16 Feb 2018 12:02 am

sms, thank you for your kind words - feels good to be acknowledged by one of the lao jiaos on this forum, heh. It's precisely 'cos there was so little info catering to people in my situation that I decided to post this here - the goalposts were moved a few times between my enlistment and ORD, and it's always good to have updated info. Cheers!

justin123

Post by justin123 » Wed, 25 Apr 2018 11:11 am

Hi! I’m also a PR NSF, from China been here since P1. Is it possible to book for an appointment during my term of service(the appointment date is after ORD of course).
I will be ORDing next year May, and I’m looking to go overseas for my further studies. How much will this affect my chance of getting accepted for SC?

Thank you for this thread!

dc374

Post by dc374 » Wed, 25 Apr 2018 12:00 pm

Hi justin123,

Good to see that you’re planning ahead :)

Let’s see...
justin123 wrote:Hi! I’m also a PR NSF, from China been here since P1. Is it possible to book for an appointment during my term of service(the appointment date is after ORD of course).

This was what I was able to do. However I’ve heard that this year eAppointment has been rather stingy in giving out appointments if you don’t apply via eSC. How old are you 1) now and 2) upon ord? There’s a bit of a catch-22 here - the procedures are very different if you’re a minor (<21 as of application date) or an adult (>=21), so booking ahead might render the appointment invalid if you turn 21 between now and May 2019.

I will be ORDing next year May, and I’m looking to go overseas for my further studies. How much will this affect my chance of getting accepted for SC?

I actually chanced across your other thread and contrary to what’s been posted there, I don’t think you should worry too much as long as you have no adverse records during your NS and apply right after ORD. If it reassures you, I have friends of friends studying in the States and Australia (post-NS) who are at various stages in the SC application process - some IPA’ed, some still pending ‘cos they weren’t able to get appointments. When I went for my SCJ there also happened to be one Taiwanese dude who flew back from Melbourne for the weekend just to attend his community sharing session too. The student scheme is worth a shot - you *did* complete at least 3 years of schooling in SG and passed at least 1 national exam, didn’t you? No harm emailing them for more information. The point about not having blue IC is a small issue in the grand scheme of things - if needed (as it is for citizenship registration) CMPB is but a phone call away, and they WILL release your civilian NRIC for valid reasons.

As an aside, I just took my oath, so that gives you an idea of the timeframe between IPA and officially becoming a citizen. :) All the best.

justin123

Post by justin123 » Wed, 25 Apr 2018 1:18 pm

dc374 wrote:Hi justin123,

Good to see that you’re planning ahead :)

Let’s see...
justin123 wrote:Hi! I’m also a PR NSF, from China been here since P1. Is it possible to book for an appointment during my term of service(the appointment date is after ORD of course).

This was what I was able to do. However I’ve heard that this year eAppointment has been rather stingy in giving out appointments if you don’t apply via eSC. How old are you 1) now and 2) upon ord? There’s a bit of a catch-22 here - the procedures are very different if you’re a minor (<21 as of application date) or an adult (>=21), so booking ahead might render the appointment invalid if you turn 21 between now and May 2019.

I actually chanced across your other thread and contrary to what’s been posted there, I don’t think you should worry too much as long as you have no adverse records during your NS and apply right after ORD. If it reassures you, I have friends of friends studying in the States and Australia (post-NS) who are at various stages in the SC application process - some IPA’ed, some still pending ‘cos they weren’t able to get appointments. When I went for my SCJ there also happened to be one Taiwanese dude who flew back from Melbourne for the weekend just to attend his community sharing session too. The student scheme is worth a shot - you *did* complete at least 3 years of schooling in SG and passed at least 1 national exam, didn’t you? No harm emailing them for more information. The point about not having blue IC is a small issue in the grand scheme of things - if needed (as it is for citizenship registration) CMPB is but a phone call away, and they WILL release your civilian NRIC for valid reasons.

As an aside, I just took my oath, so that gives you an idea of the timeframe between IPA and officially becoming a citizen. :) All the best.

Thank you so much for the swift reply! Really meant a lot to me :) I’m currently 20 but turning 21 in a month’s time, will be looking to book an appointment after i turned 21 and between next year’s May ~ end of June before i turn 22.
Was quite paranoid as I’ve heard that if I were to leave Singapore for further studies they will not approve my SC application(what happened to the son of my mother’s colleague) but after hearing your side of story I’m much more assured! Is there anything I should take note when submitting an application?

dc374

Post by dc374 » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:24 pm

Hey, sflr - exams round the corner heh. As far as I can remember, the only additional documents I submitted were my university offer letters... and since I was under 21 when I applied, they wanted my parents' documents as well even though I was in effect applying on my own right. The last requirement shouldn't affect you though.