Singapore Expats Forum

National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

almond2009

Re: National Service Deferment Procedure in Singapore.

Postby almond2009 » Thu, 08 Feb 2018 8:16 am

Thank you PNGMK and MS, for the advice you have given me. I don't think there is much I can do at the moment. I'm not against the idea of NS. What I don't like is the inflexibility of the rules (e.g. what if we lose our Singapore connection completely, then what's the point of sending my son back to serve), and the lack of information on what an overseas Singaporean can expect. Things like, what's the waiting time between graduation and starting NS? Can he disrupt if university starts before he completes NS? While these may seem trivial, I think it will add to the total "NS time" significantly and it does matter to the families involved.

If the SG govt reads this, I hope they will consider the practical issues and make NS more friendly for overseas Singaporeans (although my experience has taught me that they don't care).

Sorry for the digression. This forum has given me the answers I seek and I thank you for that. I hope I will come back and give an update in the future.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 08 Feb 2018 8:51 am

almond2009 wrote:Thank you PNGMK and MS, for the advice you have given me. I don't think there is much I can do at the moment. I'm not against the idea of NS. What I don't like is the inflexibility of the rules (e.g. what if we lose our Singapore connection completely, then what's the point of sending my son back to serve), and the lack of information on what an overseas Singaporean can expect. Things like, what's the waiting time between graduation and starting NS? Can he disrupt if university starts before he completes NS? While these may seem trivial, I think it will add to the total "NS time" significantly and it does matter to the families involved.

If the SG govt reads this, I hope they will consider the practical issues and make NS more friendly for overseas Singaporeans (although my experience has taught me that they don't care).

Sorry for the digression. This forum has given me the answers I seek and I thank you for that. I hope I will come back and give an update in the future.

Many readers who are parents here have been through this decision loop. For what it is worth I decided with my son that he would follow the straight path and do O levels, Poly and then NS. There is little value in him (a dual Australian / SC) disconnecting with Singapore at this point.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

JJ0204

Postby JJ0204 » Mon, 19 Feb 2018 3:13 am

HI.. desperately need advise here.
Son just turned 16 in Feb. Understand he will get his NS registration notice soon. Nothing against NS but worried about him when he has to go back for NS alone. We sold our HDB when we left Singapore 8 years ago. No relative back in Singapore and no place to stay when he has to fulfill his NS obligation.
Anyone can offer advise? is it possible to request for deferment till he is 21 (or at least till he is more independent and mature to travel on his own). Parents are unable to travel back with him due to work and younger sibling still attending school overseas.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 19 Feb 2018 7:08 am

JJ0204 wrote:HI.. desperately need advise here.
Son just turned 16 in Feb. Understand he will get his NS registration notice soon. Nothing against NS but worried about him when he has to go back for NS alone. We sold our HDB when we left Singapore 8 years ago. No relative back in Singapore and no place to stay when he has to fulfill his NS obligation.
Anyone can offer advise? is it possible to request for deferment till he is 21 (or at least till he is more independent and mature to travel on his own). Parents are unable to travel back with him due to work and younger sibling still attending school overseas.

Continue to request deferments (AKA overseas NS Exit permits for 1 year and 364 days) until he is old enough to go back or until CMPB refuse to issue anymore, you may need to provide proof of enrolment in school or uni or college. You presumably (and should) be doing this already since he was 13?
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.