Singapore Expats

Landlord selling house in the middle of rental tenure

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
kozizi

Landlord selling house in the middle of rental tenure

Post by kozizi » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 11:04 pm

Hi folks,
I'm about 6months into a 2yr rental contract, and have just been informed by the agent that the landlord is looking to sell the condo. They're looking for a buyer who will continue the tenancy contract, i.e. I don't need to vacate, and will continue paying the same rental amount even when ownership changes.
Is there a catch to it that I should be worried about? Or anything that I need to ask the agent & clarify to save my ass? Because it sounds all too simple. Don't want to be in an unpleasant situation 1.5yrs down the line..
Appreciate inputs from anyone who has been in a similar situation, Thank you!

Search By

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Re: Landlord selling house in the middle of rental tenure

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 02 Feb 2018 9:12 am

It happens, nothing to worry about. Other than the viewings that typically precede the sale. Check your lease and see what it says about this. "Reasonable" is the word you want to see there.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Landlord selling house in the middle of rental tenure

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 02 Feb 2018 9:18 am

kozizi wrote:Hi folks,
I'm about 6months into a 2yr rental contract, and have just been informed by the agent that the landlord is looking to sell the condo. They're looking for a buyer who will continue the tenancy contract, i.e. I don't need to vacate, and will continue paying the same rental amount even when ownership changes.
Is there a catch to it that I should be worried about? Or anything that I need to ask the agent & clarify to save my ass? Because it sounds all too simple. Don't want to be in an unpleasant situation 1.5yrs down the line..
Appreciate inputs from anyone who has been in a similar situation, Thank you!
I've bought a condo and continued the tenancy as a LL. It's not that uncommon. HOWEVER the catch is whether the new owner will want to continue the tenancy or find a clause in the TA to terminate the lease - what does your TA say about the owner breaking the lease (i.e. notice period)? Also note that you should insist a new TA be executed with the new owner at his cost (not yours) with no variation in terms and conditions. The other headache will be the sales agents wanting to show the condo off at all hours - insist on reasonable notice in order for you to continue enjoying your peace and quiet. Do not give them carte blanche to come in without you or yours being present.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!