Singapore Expats

Proof of residence, chicken meet egg

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
yosithezet

Proof of residence, chicken meet egg

Post by yosithezet » Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:04 am

My wife is here on a dependent pass. She has a letter of consent and has started a job at an MNC. In order to open a bank account she needs some document with our residential address. I’m in the middle of an existing rental contract which doesn’t have her name. HR at the MNC will issue a letter of employment with her passport number and dependent pass number, but not her residential address. The banks won’t open an account without the residential address.

Any ideas other than a joint account?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Proof of residence, chicken meet egg

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 29 Jan 2018 10:15 am

yosithezet wrote:My wife is here on a dependent pass. She has a letter of consent and has started a job at an MNC. In order to open a bank account she needs some document with our residential address. I’m in the middle of an existing rental contract which doesn’t have her name. HR at the MNC will issue a letter of employment with her passport number and dependent pass number, but not her residential address. The banks won’t open an account without the residential address.

Doesn't her DP show her address on it?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 29 Jan 2018 11:15 am

PNGMK wrote:
yosithezet wrote:My wife is here on a dependent pass. She has a letter of consent and has started a job at an MNC. In order to open a bank account she needs some document with our residential address. I’m in the middle of an existing rental contract which doesn’t have her name. HR at the MNC will issue a letter of employment with her passport number and dependent pass number, but not her residential address. The banks won’t open an account without the residential address.

Doesn't her DP show her address on it?
FIN cards don't show address. However I have opened bank accounts in my wife's name at both OCBC and UOB using my address proof, without any issues.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

yosithezet

Post by yosithezet » Wed, 31 Jan 2018 9:44 pm

Wd40 wrote:FIN cards don't show address. However I have opened bank accounts in my wife's name at both OCBC and UOB using my address proof, without any issues.

What do you mean that you opened the accounts?

Meanwhile she has tried UOB and OCBC. No go without some document with her residential address. The MNC’s payroll tried to get HR to issue a letter but all they will issue is a letter with her passport number, full name, salary, start date.

I imagine that if we went to get a phone line in her name they would also want to see proof of residence. I have a second phone line on my mobile plan that she uses. Maybe I can get them to associate her name with that line?

What do people do when they have a maid and the maid wants/need to open a bank account or postpaid phone. I’m guessing the maid agency issues a letter giving the residence as the employer’s residence or what?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 31 Jan 2018 9:52 pm

yosithezet wrote:
Wd40 wrote:FIN cards don't show address. However I have opened bank accounts in my wife's name at both OCBC and UOB using my address proof, without any issues.

What do you mean that you opened the accounts?

Meanwhile she has tried UOB and OCBC. No go without some document with her residential address. The MNC’s payroll tried to get HR to issue a letter but all they will issue is a letter with her passport number, full name, salary, start date.

I imagine that if we went to get a phone line in her name they would also want to see proof of residence. I have a second phone line on my mobile plan that she uses. Maybe I can get them to associate her name with that line?

What do people do when they have a maid and the maid wants/need to open a bank account or postpaid phone. I’m guessing the maid agency issues a letter giving the residence as the employer’s residence or what?
My wife has had 2 accounts in her name. I am not sure if we used rental agreement or not. But I don't remember doing so. This was couple of years ago. I don't remember. There are 100s of banks in Singapore. You don't have to depend on the 3 local. Go find out which one is most helpful.

Just randomly, try CIMB. I have their credit cards. Very good deal.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 10:17 am

Old passes had address. Long time ago

Sent from my ASUS_X008 using Tapatalk

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 01 Feb 2018 10:24 am

ecureilx wrote:

Old passes had address. Long time ago

Sent from my ASUS_X008 using Tapatalk
Yes, I think it was before 2008, when I came in 2009 I got the plastic card. Before that I guess it was some laminated card and they also wrote P1, P2 etc on it. The plastic card onwards they stopped it.