Singapore Expats

Singapore PR Approval chances in the year 2017-2018

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Chaorenz

Re: Singapore PR Approval chances in the year 2017-2018

Post by Chaorenz » Sun, 28 Jan 2018 4:09 pm

successcre8or wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Do you know what the acronym PR stands for? If not it is "Permanent Residence". You do know what residence means, correct? So how do you think you can have PR unless you are resident in the country giving your PR? :-k :roll:
Well, Australia, Canada and NewZealand give PR without even visiting.... not to mention marrying a citizen or working there. I know i should have work to maintain that status but for a start i was wondering if i can get before residing there....

well maybe you could go to Australia , Canada or NewZealand ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Jan 2018 5:54 pm

Generally you need to be on a residency visa of one sort or another, e.g., Work Permit, Employment Pass, Long Term Social Visit Pass (spouse of a PR or SGC) for around two years or three tax assessments before they will entertain the though of PR. Occasionally, if the spouse is working and is earning enough to proved the ability to support (in the case of you being unemployed and applying for PR under the Family Ties scheme (spouse of a citizen) it's theoretically possible but I've not hear of one for the past 7 or 8 years although I do know of one and only one.

If you have very deep pockets, you can get it under the Global Investor Program but that entails are rather large outlay of funds and the hiring of Singaporeans. More can be found out about this, here: https://www.contactsingapore.sg/gip
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

successcre8or

Post by successcre8or » Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:38 pm

Thank you SMS :)

Janakikr

Post by Janakikr » Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:17 pm

VKSP wrote:Hi,
Do you have update from ICA on your application?

Janakikr wrote:Hi
Please dont mistake that i am starting a new thread here on the same topic.
I am in Singapore since 2011 and got married here in Singapore to a PR here in 2013. From then i am applying for PR its been getting rejected. As my husband is a RC member we have also met MP Goh Chok Tong and he wrote a letter to ICA (in 2015), still rejected. So he asked us to wait and reapply later.

Details of Myself and My Family:

I am a Engineering graduate working for a Multi national Bank. Salary more than 100K per annum
My husband is here since 2008 and he has renewed his PR and his appointment for Citizenship is also booked in Next year. Since he is a Residence Committee member where we get to do a lot of volunteering activities. We have got a condo here and moved in 2016.
We have a son now who is born here in Apr, so now I applied PR along with him in May. Application is in pending state over 5 months.
Apart from this we also donate a lot to the organisations here and we have registered for Bone Marrow Donors as well.

Can you please help me whats the chance of we getting a PR and also let us know if we need to do anything else for the contribution of the society.
My application is pending for more than 9 months now. hoping if it gets approved soon.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 27 Feb 2018 11:22 am

successcre8or wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Do you know what the acronym PR stands for? If not it is "Permanent Residence". You do know what residence means, correct? So how do you think you can have PR unless you are resident in the country giving your PR? :-k :roll:
Well, Australia, Canada and NewZealand give PR without even visiting.... not to mention marrying a citizen or working there. I know i should have work to maintain that status but for a start i was wondering if i can get before residing there....
Let me tell you why countries like Australia, Canada and New Zealand give PR without you being a resident first.

1. They are big-ass/very young countries with many abysses void of human in places they are dying to populate.

2. The condition of their PR to you is that you uproot and move within 6 months upon approval (number of months may vary depending on what scheme you get your PR on and which country).

3. Different countries, different rules. Canada has stopped (or, has not been) granting foreign spouse of citizens on PR unless they physically reside there. Even if s/he gets approved, the family has 6 months to uproot and move back.

So yeah, Singapore is a bloody-small country but with heavenly lifestyle. Heavenly part might vary to some people - but hey, safety, cleanliness, low tax, consistent climate, cheap labour force to make many things cheap, etc etc etc.

Janakikr

Post by Janakikr » Thu, 22 Mar 2018 4:29 pm

Myself and my son's PR is pending for more than 10 months now. Is it worth to drop a email to ICA requesting the status ?

Regards
Janaki

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 22 Mar 2018 4:40 pm

Janakikr wrote:Myself and my son's PR is pending for more than 10 months now. Is it worth to drop a email to ICA requesting the status ?

Regards
Janaki
Better to wait. Sometimes, when you try to expedite, things turn negative

Rahul1988

Post by Rahul1988 » Thu, 16 Aug 2018 11:30 pm

Janakikr wrote:Myself and my son's PR is pending for more than 10 months now. Is it worth to drop a email to ICA requesting the status ?

Regards
Janaki
Hi, just to check what was the outcome of your application?

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by jamie9vardy » Thu, 16 Aug 2018 11:40 pm

Rahul1988 wrote: Hi, just to check what was the outcome of your application?
What difference does it make by knowing the outcome of the poster’s application?

Rahul1988

Post by Rahul1988 » Thu, 16 Aug 2018 11:43 pm

jamie9vardy wrote:
Rahul1988 wrote: Hi, just to check what was the outcome of your application?
What difference does it make by knowing the outcome of the poster’s application?
In similar boat. Why do you think it hurts to know of a poster's outcome?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

jamie9vardy
Chatter
Chatter

Singapore PR Approval chances in the year 2017-2018

Post by jamie9vardy » Fri, 17 Aug 2018 12:02 am

Rahul1988 wrote:In similar boat. Why do you think it hurts to know of a poster's outcome?

Since when did I say it hurts to know?

So what if the poster’s application was approved? Does it mean that yours will be approved as well? What if s/he was rejected?

Another applicant’s result has zero bearing on your application even both of you are of identical profiles. Maybe I’m wrong, it does - take one spot off the ‘invisible’ quota for the sub-con demographic group.

Rahul1988

Post by Rahul1988 » Fri, 17 Aug 2018 12:24 am

jamie9vardy wrote:
Rahul1988 wrote:In similar boat. Why do you think it hurts to know of a poster's outcome?

Since when did I say it hurts to know?

So what if the poster’s application was approved? Does it mean that yours will be approved as well? What if s/he was rejected?

Another applicant’s result has zero bearing on your application even both of you are of identical profiles. Maybe I’m wrong, it does - take one spot off the ‘invisible’ quota for the sub-con demographic group.
Yes, you can atleast get your hopes up when the system is so opaque. Regardless, if posters do not mind letting others know of their status, neither should anyone else.

fh12

Post by fh12 » Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:43 am

seems like there are some trolls here *coughJ9cough*. people who write here genuinely need guidance on the seemingly opaque process. i don't think there's anything wrong with that. i'm a Singaporean (born and brought up here, so don't get all haughty about how i am a 'new' citizen). My husband has been in Singapore since 2013 (postgraduate at NUS and then working all the way, has fulfilled service obligation and earns a decent amount). in his second cycle of LTVP now, coming to 4 years. we applied for his PR 3 times, all rejected. if you count appeals through the MP, it will be 5 times. we own an HDB resale flat here through the foreign spouse scheme. so YES, i am serious about living here in my own country and my husband is, too. our 4th application has now been pending for over 8 months. our ethnicity is sub continental but not Indian. nevertheless, it is considered a tier 2 country. how do we know this? his LTVP/LOC applications take longer than usual even though it should be a straightforward process since all his documents are already with the authorities. he's been paying taxes on time for the past few years and our profiles are good - we are both postgraduates, i am working as a manager in a local university and he has a good job with an up and coming start up. our incomes are similar - combined income of about 10k+/month. i can only hope that this time we'll be 4th (or 6th?) time lucky.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Nov 2018 12:31 pm

fh12,
when one has been on this site and in the region for a fair number of years, we collect a fair amount of data and also are able to spot trends, for better or worse. Nobody knows what exactly the MOM or ICA uses as a guideline, but we do know from our interactions with folks on here and people like myself with over 20 years of HR experience in Singapore, the last 14 with a medium-sized SME, have a lot of much closer access to the relevant ministries so therefore are well placed to be able to see trends.

Now, the trouble you may be experiencing (3~5 rejections) is primarily do to the fact that your husband IS from a tier 2 country (that has been abusing the rules of Singapore for the past 8~10 years). After it all came out during the 2011 GE here (I'm sure you remember it) there was a big hoo-haa about sub-continentals who were taking advantage of the system here both by hiring practices when one of them manages to get into the senior HR roles in the larger companies as well as the practice of flipping properties. This is all well documented.

Now, as a Singaporean, you should well know that this country is a patriarchal society and because of this, it has always been ICA presumption that the female spouse will follow the husband. Therefore it is harder for a well educated foreign husband to gain PR by virtue of having a local female spouse. ICA also thinks that like a lot of their countrymen who came before them, that they will only be using Singapore for a stepping-stone to another country as those of their ilk who have come before have done. Therefore, ICA is hesitant to give out PR to someone who, in all likelihood, will leave for greener shores as soon as the opportunity arises. I know it's harsh, but if you have done enough research on the archives here you will understand from where we come.

sms

NB: you really should learn what a troll actually is. Jamie is far from a troll. You do not do yourself any favours that way. Capisce?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers