Singapore Expats

My chance to apply for PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
coldman519

My chance to apply for PR

Post by coldman519 » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 3:49 pm

Hi all,

Could you please help me assess my chance to get Singapore PR?

Me - Taiwanese, 24 yrs, came to sg from Jul 2017, now studying PhD at NUS.

My wife - SC, 23 yrs, just graduated from NUS and still finding a job.

We got married in July 2017, and I applied for PR in Nov. 2017, so it's only 4 months from the marriage. I know it's recommended that applying after 3 yrs, but still hope to try. I also submitted other somewhat achievements record but don't know it matters or not: a) having published some papers, b) studied at the University of Tokyo for 1 year, c) be good at Mandarin, English and Japanese

Any advice?
Thank you.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: My chance to apply for PR

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 4:29 pm

coldman519 wrote:Hi all,

We got married in July 2017, and I applied for PR in Nov. 2017, so it's only 4 months from the marriage. I know it's recommended that applying after 3 yrs, but still hope to try. I also submitted other somewhat achievements record but don't know it matters or not: a) having published some papers, b) studied at the University of Tokyo for 1 year, c) be good at Mandarin, English and Japanese

Any advice?
Thank you.
Too early. You need to be fully working or should have completed your PHD

coldman519

Post by coldman519 » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 8:12 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:Too early. You need to be fully working or should have completed your PHD
Yeah I do know I had better apply after graduation, but it takes 4-5 years to graduate... I just felt since I am qualified to apply for PR (supported by my SC wife), I just tried it. Also I heard that government just started to let students apply for PR, while it's not my case, but it's somewhat telling students have chance to get PR?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 22 Jan 2018 9:16 pm

coldman519 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:Too early. You need to be fully working or should have completed your PHD
Yeah I do know I had better apply after graduation, but it takes 4-5 years to graduate... I just felt since I am qualified to apply for PR (supported by my SC wife), I just tried it. Also I heard that government just started to let students apply for PR, while it's not my case, but it's somewhat telling students have chance to get PR?
If you read carefully, they want students who have passed one of the local national level exams.

Did you apply for PR under the PTS Scheme? Or via your Spouse Sponsorship?

Even for spouse sponsorship, they look at the stability of the marriage. If it has been just a few months, it will not be enough for PR

coldman519

Post by coldman519 » Tue, 23 Jan 2018 4:59 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: If you read carefully, they want students who have passed one of the local national level exams.

Even for spouse sponsorship, they look at the stability of the marriage. If it has been just a few months, it will not be enough for PR
I applied via spouse sponsorship. Yeah, so maybe what I can do now is just pray and if finally rejected, wait for 1-3 years then apply again? Thanks!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 23 Jan 2018 5:15 pm

coldman519 wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote: If you read carefully, they want students who have passed one of the local national level exams.

I applied via spouse sponsorship. Yeah, so maybe what I can do now is just pray and if finally rejected, wait for 1-3 years then apply again? Thanks!
Wait for at least 2 years or have a kid and then re-apply

coldman519

Post by coldman519 » Wed, 24 Jan 2018 1:38 pm

singaporeflyer wrote: Wait for at least 2 years or have a kid and then re-apply
Thanks for your advice!

lokch

Post by lokch » Fri, 25 Jan 2019 3:32 pm

coldman519 wrote:Hi all,

Any advice?
Thank you.
Hi, I have the same situation with you. Married in Dec 2018 and planning to apply for PR this month or feb.

Me - SC, 29, graduated from SIT/NUS, and got my masters in HKU and working for healthcare

Wife - Taiwanese 26, graduated from bachelor of clinical medicine and masters in HKU and working in a local university.

Seems like chance is low, but wanna try.

Keep in contact ya, keep each other updated.