Singapore Expats

Need Advice on Hiring Tutors

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
matchalatte

Need Advice on Hiring Tutors

Post by matchalatte » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 10:23 am

Hi all, I have been thinking about getting private tutors for my kid for extra enrichment (both academic and extra-curricular), and am wondering what is the best way to look for tutors.

In my research, I have come across many agencies, but am skeptical if they really have their clients' best interest in mind (I've heard from friends who have had bad experience with them) Curious to find out from the moms here if you have hired tutors before, and how did you go about hiring one. Thank you all in advance!

Love,
Maggie

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Need Advice on Hiring Tutors

Post by the lynx » Wed, 01 Jul 2015 3:48 pm

You have two choices to consider:

1. Exam preparation - If your only interest is for your child to get straight As in the exam, then it is best to identify the agency that boasts how in-touch they are with the exam format and marking system. So your child only needs to learn what is needed to get those straight As. Here rote learning is the key.

2. Holistic education - This is where your child learns and also learns how to apply what he has learned. If this is the case, you need personal recommendations from friends (this is where you ditch advertisements and brochures of mega-agencies) on private tutors whose focus is for wholesome development of the child. Such tutors will develop/alter the materials to suit the child's pace, weakness/strengths and his grade at school is of second priority (because f*** rote learning/examination). Sometimes a non-professional tutor can do better than multi-million tutor megastar for a child.

Source: Was a tutor

briannabanks

Post by briannabanks » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 2:05 am

Heres a giant menu of articles containing advice about hiring tutors and what happens after. It also includes compilation of blacklisted names. Hopefully this is useful for you.

{sanitized by moderator}

Karenong933

Post by Karenong933 » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:16 pm

Hi,

I have hired private tutor for my brother and sisters. The teachers are MOE registered and very experience. Just to share with you.You can email me at [email protected]

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:59 pm

Hi Karenong933, does the number 4690 mean something to you? I'm pretty sure it does. Also, I need one good reason not to lock your account for soliciting business.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Lyc0

Post by Lyc0 » Tue, 26 Dec 2017 12:12 pm

Hi flyawayhome, can i ask what level does your son need tuition for?

DennisKeller

Post by DennisKeller » Tue, 09 Jan 2018 12:13 pm

Hi all, i am looking for good recommendations for tuition classes for my little girl (8 years old) as she seem to be lagging behind in her studies since primary 1. Does someone have any contacts for a good and responsible tutor? My budget is limited as her school fees is quite a sum to handle. Sorry if I'm being difficult here. Thank you.

Prichelle93

Post by Prichelle93 » Tue, 23 Jan 2018 8:00 pm

Hi Denniskeller,

I am not sure what rates you have in mind. From my experience, usually rates for a primary 2 student is from $18 to $25 per hour. If you have this rate in mind, it wont be considered low. For $25/hr, I am able to hire a tutor who is an undergraduate or degree holder. If you are keen, i can recommend them to you.

JoeC

Post by JoeC » Thu, 08 Mar 2018 10:28 am

For me it really depends on whether your kid learns well in a group or 1-1 environment though I would say based on my experience it was really tough to get the right tutor. An example is my son in P4 who i sent to one of the tuition schools near where i stay at (Sengkang) for science and chinese classes. My son ended up not learning much unfortunately and spent time playing with his peers in class apparently. I later tried 1-1 tuition and decided to hire an undergrad from a reputable university here. My son was able to focus and learn quite a bit but the undergrad ended up missing lessons and just suddenly quit one day as he is going for exchange overseas.

Anyhow after a few tutors later, i was fortunate to get the right tutor(s) for my son who has now improved at school at least for science and Chinese. :D Learnt from this experience that finding the right fit for your kid is the most impt (is he able to learn better in a 1-1 or group environment? Also whether the teacher / tutor fits his/her personality or is able to motivate your kid). And yes it is often a trial and error process but recommendations of the right tutor and understanding your kid are the 2 key aspects that i gained out of this experience.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 25 Sep 2018 4:59 pm

ShirleyParkson67 wrote:
I think the one i engaged was ...!
You only think? Given that you mention the outfit in almost every one of your posts I'd thought you'd know!

Subtle you ain't. [-(

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 25 Sep 2018 5:55 pm

You joined today and every message talks about the same tutor. It looks like advertising.

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by joop » Tue, 25 Sep 2018 6:08 pm

bgd wrote:You joined today and every message talks about the same tutor. It looks like advertising.
That user has been removed for violating our policy.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

MariaGiovanni

Post by MariaGiovanni » Thu, 04 Oct 2018 2:39 pm

JoeC wrote:For me it really depends on whether your kid learns well in a group or 1-1 environment though I would say based on my experience it was really tough to get the right tutor. An example is my son in P4 who i sent to one of the tuition schools near where i stay at (Sengkang) for science and chinese classes. My son ended up not learning much unfortunately and spent time playing with his peers in class apparently. I later tried 1-1 tuition and decided to hire an undergrad from a reputable university here. My son was able to focus and learn quite a bit but the undergrad ended up missing lessons and just suddenly quit one day as he is going for exchange overseas.

Anyhow after a few tutors later, i was fortunate to get the right tutor(s) for my son who has now improved at school at least for science and Chinese. :D Learnt from this experience that finding the right fit for your kid is the most impt (is he able to learn better in a 1-1 or group environment? Also whether the teacher / tutor fits his/her personality or is able to motivate your kid). And yes it is often a trial and error process but recommendations of the right tutor and understanding your kid are the 2 key aspects that i gained out of this experience.
Hi there i'm also looking for a tutor for my kid and I'm considering private tuition too. May I ask what did you look out for when you tried to evaluate a tutor? Besides just the university he is from? Just wondering if I would even be able to find a tutor because I barely know locals and don't really have a contact to look at. I'm afraid it would be difficult for me to find a tutor. Apprecite all help!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 15 Dec 2018 10:17 am

Deevolk wrote:I work and study now. I try to combine it, but it is very difficult. Sometimes I even think of quitting my studies or work. I am very tired lately and I do not have enough time for everything. For example, I need to write a few essays now. Even planned to order through ####https://e-e.please-dont.do.it#### if I could not do it for myself. Are there any people here who combine study and work?
I believe the situation in Ukraine could be a bit different to Singapore but if you live there and commute here for work and study it must be hell exhausting indeed.